We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area to stay

Wales UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
which area to stay

Hi there, not done any research as yet on the Phillipines but maybe thinking of travelling here sometime . Where would be the best place to go. We like, history, good restaurants, bars, beaches etc. We are in our 50's. Got told that some areas are quite different and is also divided. Help please

Thanks

Tina

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area to stay

You are asking in the Cebu forum, but dont specify any particular islands.

Everyone has their favourite destinations. I feel for first time travellers, the Visayas offer all you ask for, in a very easy group of Islands to get around.

You could start off in Cebu city, then catch a ferry to Bohol to see this great Island , from there catch a ferry to Dumaguete, and see parts of Negros before catching another ferry to Siquijor. Then returning back to Cebu.

Alternatively, start in Manila, and travel around northern Luzon, Vigan, sagada and banaue, then maybe fly to Palawan for a week, before returning to Manila.

There are many different options for you to choose nd I am msure you will get many helpful suggestions

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area to stay

i suggest you take advantage of the sticky threads posted on the upper right side of this forum, these are the FAQ and popular things to do about each locality. Start with Cebu since this is where you originally posted. From there, some outlying islands will start to trickle in as suggested Phoenix.

Once you narrow your preferences, let us know.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which area to stay

I would also recommend making Cebu as your jumping off point to the other Visayan islands using the ferry inter-island circuit. In Cebu, you can base yourself in the Banilad Rd area where you have easy access to the Ayala Mall (grocery, pharmacy, restos, currency exchange) and taxi cabs. While in Cebu, you can take the heritage tour which includes the Santo Nino shrine, Magellan Cross, Gorordo Ancestral House, Taoist Temple, the Fort San Pedro and Cathedral.

Then you can take the ferry to Bohol and join a Bohol tour group. Some of the sites to see are the Tarsier Sanctuary, Chocolate Hills, the Baclayon Church and Loboc River cruise. You may also opt to stay overnight or two at any of the Panglao Beach resorts where you can do an island hopping trip and/or enjoy the white sand beach which is full of dive shops, bars and restos.

From Bohol, you can take the ferry to Dumaguete. You can either stay at the Boulevard area hotel or at any of the Dauin Beach resorts. In Duma, you can visit the Twin Lakes, Casororo Falls, Siliman University , the Boulevard or take a banca to Apo Island for snorkeling.

From Dumaguete, you can take the ferry to Siquijor and I also believe to Camiguin. I have not been to ether island and so I can't offer any recommendations. But if you need the name and number of a tour guide, you can search for them in TA or post for it.

Hope this helps!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,276 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which area to stay

You have more than 7,000 islands to choose from. I suggest to visit just 3 or 4 popular ones and I assure you that you will be back for more. If you don't like those 4 islands then you still have 7,000 more to choose from.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which area to stay

Hi,

You are looking for history, good restaurants, bars, beaches .... let us answer that one by one -

Beaches and Restaurants....

Philippines has lots (and I do mean LOTS!) of beautiful beaches - the best tend to be concentrated in the central part of the country - and some have already been names by the above posts.

The more developed places (like Bohol, Boracay) tend to have good restaurants. Places popular with foreigners serve good continental fare (Native Filipino food does not suit everyone's palate, as it includes parts like the knuckles, fat and ears of the pig).

History....

Sadly, you will see very less of history here. It dates back to either 1940s (WW2) or Spanish colonial period (not more than 400 years old). While this IS historic for us in the Philippines and SE Asia, it does not compare to the history of, say, India (where 2000 to 3000 years old magnificent monuments are so common) or Egypt / Greece.

However,...

For world war II history buffs - Corregidor island (near Manila) is a nice place to explore

For those interested in Spanish - Filipino colonial history, Intramuros (Manila), Ancestral houses of Silay (near Bacolod - central Philippines) and Vigan (Northern Luzon) are places worth seeing.

You can see an account of our visit to Vigan here - …blogspot.com/2012/04/vigan.html and

Corregidor here

- …blogspot.com/2013/01/corregidor-island-hist…

We explored heritage Silay for a day - you can see it's ancestral houses (3 of which have been converted into beautiful well kept museums) here -

…blogspot.com/2012/10/07-balay-negrense.html

Do note, none of these will impress anyone who has walked the cobbled streets of Venice or even Pisa. However, Vigan does have a certain laid back charm and shows you another aspect of Filipinos.

PS - The biggest charm of Philippines is it's people! You will notice this within hours of arriving here.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which area to stay

What happened to the OP? Would be nice to know what he decided to do.

7. Re: which area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, March 30, 2013
8. Re: which area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2014