We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

Hi

I will be heading to Cebu on 3rd October 2011. The news reported that a typhoon have hit Manila which destroyed several buildings badly. Is Cebu still safe for traveling? I intend to head to Cebu for scuba diving.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

just because there is a typhoon in manila doesnt mean there is one in cebu but the problem is getting to cebu from manila but as you can fly from singapore to cebu ,no need to go manila ,-all should be ok.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

My friend in Manila told me that there will be 2 incoming typhoons on Saturday but it is unknown which area is going to hit. It's pretty worrying and Im thinking of all the money that I have spent in booking the hotels + airflight if I have to give this holiday a miss. But my life is more worth it!

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

@rayee...based on current satellite images, I don't think you should worry that much. Typhoon Nesat is on it's way out and is forecast to be somewhere off the coast of north Vietnam/South China by Friday (Sept. 20).

There is a storm brewing in the West Pacific. Tropical Depression TwentyTwo is expected to intensify into a cat.2 storm and is forecast (as of Sept. 27) to cross the Ilocos region or extreme portions of Northern Luzon by Sunday morning (Oct.2). Though still unpredictable, the chances that the typhoon would directly affect Cebu and the Visayas looks slim as of this time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

Phew! Thanks! I was about to cancel my hotel bookings because I was so worried about the typhoon. I have never encountered a typhoon before and I certainly don't wish to encounter one.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

Based on the meteorological agencies of Guam, Taiwan and the Philippines it is very unlikely that the new typhoon would hit Cebu or even near it. Even with a typhoon hitting Northern Luzon yesterday, flights to Cebu operated without delays (except for Philippine Airlines as it is a different story).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

That's a relief. I am taking Tiger Airways so that should not be any delays although the budget airlines do have delays from time to time

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

Yes a typhoon hit Manila - past tense. It has gone now. And Manila is far from Cebu.

On Sunday 2nd a tropical storm ("Quiel")is due to impact Northern Luzon which may affect Manila but is not predicted to be anywhere near as strong as Typhoon Pedring. Go ahead as planned, no need to worry unduly.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

The weather bureaus of the Philippines, Taiwan and Japan indicated that Quiel will be a typhoon by Saturday or Sunday and based from their prediction the typhoon is too far from Cebu to have any direct impact.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

You need not worry, here in cebu we got rain at night, but its not like that in manila base on the news...

all is well here. got good weather, I hope there(manila) will be no more casualties in manila.

10. Re: Typhoon hit Manila. Is Cebu safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 24, 2012