We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boracay review from a first timer

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Boracay review from a first timer

Hey all! Here's a review of my short Boracay experience:

May 22-24

Airline: Asian Spirit- not a bad flight as some ppl made it out to be in other forums. Yes, "smoke" did come out of the plane, but it was only the A/C...and still, people were panicking. It was a short plane ride, maybe 45mins-1hour. As soon as I was falling asleep, we were landing! The plane was tiny, esp for my six-footer companions, but this was expected and it was a short trip anyway.

Boat ride/Fees/etc: from the airport, we met up with the van that was supposed to take us to the jetty...which was literally like a 2 minute drive around the corner! You could probably walk it, but not with lots of luggage. As for fees, we page 70 pesos each, for environmental fee and something else. We then were loaded into a small boat that stopped at all 3 stations. Yes, you will get wet when you get off, but we were well prepared and it was quite refreshing!

Hotel:

reservation-

We stayed at White House Beach Resort on Station 1. Although the place itself wasn't problematic, getting the actual reservation was a little irritating. I was first communicating thru email with the staff, but with their slow response, I had decided to call directly to the Manila office and booked our room. However, even after paying in full for the reservation, the Boracay office still kept emailing me whether or not I was interested,etc even though we reserved with the main office and even spoke with the actual owner! Apparently, the Manila office and Boracay office don't communicate well together, and do not update their reservations. So be careful, as they may double-book!!!

room-As for the room itself, we booked the Family Room on the 2nd floor which consisted of a big room with a queen size bed, 2 twin beds, and a pull out bed. There was ample room in the room, and the bathroom was equally ample in space as well. My only complaint would be the ants all over the walls.

service- We got free breakfast everyday, which was buffet style: eggs, tapa?, bangus,rice,juice,etc. It was pretty decent. The actual ppl who worked there were nice, though shy. When we asked for things (extra towels, etc), they were brought promptly to our room.

the view/location: This place had 3 huts with a good view of the beach...not crowded at all.It's between Seawind and Sur(?) on the beachfront properties. Vendors do come to the huts, but very few. Plus, they leave you alone right away as soon as you say no. It was very peaceful on our resort.

FOOD:

Since we weren't there very long, we really didnt get to eat at very many places. We ate at some seafood place at d'mall, which was pretty forgettable. Then Aria for dinner, which was pretty good Italian food. Plus the service was great! The next day we had a light lunch at Red Coconut (okay) followed by dinner at Cyma, which had delicious Greek food. In between, we got shakes at Jony's (not Jonah's), which were really huge and filling. Overall, the food was what I expected. You won't go hungry here.

LIVE MUSIC:

My group loves live music, so we mostly stayed around bombom and pat's creek bar & were lucky enough to see Ryan perform covers of both alternative and pop songs! The next night, we came back around to the same bars for the Reggae benefit night (they were raising money for their dragon boat team), and again, the different performers did not disappoint! Some of my best memories of boracay is dancing to the mellow music of the performers with a beer in my hand! We stayed away from Club Paraw , Cocomangas, and Hey Jude, so I couldn't really tell you much about those popular hangouts.

Overall impression:

Lovely island! Too bad our trip was too short! And I was surprised by the number of Jamaican-Pinoys (or look-alikes) that were there! Hehe!

Thanks for all your help on this forum!

ryd
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

RockThis Beach,

Thanks for the review, especially the White House info.

I've been planning to stay on there on room for 2 this January.

I'm not too pleased with they way they handle bookings online

and that you had to call their head office. These things a simple

and can be sorted out at a managerial/admin level.

Anyway probably should start dealing with this reservation way much earlier so as to give them (Boracay and Manila offices) time to effectively communicate with each other.

May I ask how soon did you arrange for your reservations? like how many months prior to your accomodation dates?

Does White House have an safety deposit box? then again i dont

know whether to trust leaving some valuables in a deposit box

that can be opened by someone else.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

Am glad you enjoyed your Boracay trip. You might want to post your review of White House in the "Reviews" section (rather than here in the forum) so that people can refer to it when they're searching for accommodations in Boracay. Cheers =)

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

I booked in early April for our end of May trip.

Other than the booking problem, everything else was pretty okay with White House. At one point, we were the ONLY guests in the whole 9(?) bedroom resort! So that morning, they called us 2x since the whole buffet spread was for us 5 only, & they wanted to make sure we were coming.

BTW they also have an assortment of animals in cages on the property...like birds, a lizard, an eagle?, and other weird things.

And to answer your question (sorry it took so long to get there), YES, they did have a safe for our room (the family room). We never had a problem with their staff coming in unannounced. But then again, we never worried because we just locked our luggage for our minor electronics.

I will cross-post this under the review for White House. Hope this all helps!

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

<<they also have an assortment of animals in cages on the property...like birds, a lizard, an eagle?, and other weird things.>>

They should be ashamed of themselves for keeping wild animals in cages, especially an eagle!

ryd
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

i wanted to say something about those caged animals

earlier but held it off until now.

oh well, a cage is a prison and I probably should write something

diplomatic in request for their release from the owners.

maybe after my stay....lol!

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

It's disgusting. Eagles are rare, and I believe you need special permits to keep them in captivity.

Never mind how cruel it is to keep a majestic bird like this caged up with no freedom to fly. Occasionally I see an eagle soaring over the beach in Angol. There used to be a pair of them. I wonder if it is his/her mate imprisoned there. How sad.

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

Er.....

www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9147.html

Boracay
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

You need a Wildlife Farm Permit and Collectors Permit from the PAWB, a section of the DENR, to keep or breed wildlife, which includes birds, reptiles, butterflies, monkeys, etc. regardless of whether they are endangered, threatened, rare, or whatever. RA 9147, which Bill is referring to covers all the requirements.

I believe I may be the only one on this island with both these permits, and it is very restrictive on the species I can keep and breed, or the area I, or my nominated collectors, are allowed to collect such species.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

Then shame on Villa de Oro, who were (at one stage - it's probably dead now) keeping a beautiful jungle cat in a cage the size of a parrot cage, infested with huge, biting red ants.

And shame on Crystal Cove on Laurel Island, who also have rare eagles and other large birds in enclosures barely big enough for them to flap their wings.

10. Re: Boracay review from a first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 15, 2009