We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mixed feeling about this....

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
10 posts
Save Topic
Mixed feeling about this....

A PRIVATE sector-led campaign aimed at bringing in five million foreign visitors to the Philippines annually is focusing on making the resort island of Boracay more tourist-friendly by inducing investments of up to P10 billion.

Samie Lim, chairman of the tourism committee of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), said International Finance Corp. had prepared a list of business opportunities costing between P10 million and P10 billion for Boracay.

Lim said the PCCI was coordinating projects to put up transport services and additional rooms on the island in the central Philippines.

He said there were plans to set up a Hong Kong-style ferry service between Boracay and Caticlan town, the jump-off point to the resort island, and that Tiger Airways and other budget airlines were interested in expanding services to secondary airports like the one in Caticlan.

Lim said big hotel operators like the Shangri-La group were in various stages of putting up accommodation facilities with 300 to 500 rooms each in Boracay.

Lim said the focus on Boracay was aimed at making the island the country's biggest tourist magnet, with arrivals hoped to be increased to about thee million a year from the current 140,000.

Your thoughts please....

Source: …inq7.net/breakingnews/view_breakingnews.php…

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Mixed feeling about this....

Sirenna, I do not agree that Jollibee or Mc Do will lower the tone as you wrote. I believe the opposite: they will improve the standards in the restaurant business in the island.

"I prefer to have a clean, safe and hygienic Jollibee than one of those local dirty and unsafe eateries! At least in Jollibee they have a place to wash hands and a toilet! How many eateries in the island have toilets????"

"How about that new concrete bunker being built next to Blue Wave and Fridays? I think it is the Discovery Suites resort. Not a single tree is left there and the building has up to 5 floors!!! How they got their permits anyone's guess is good!

I am not against progress in boracay but what is happening now is totally out of control"

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mixed feeling about this....

I prefer safe and clean eateries too. I just don't like my food to taste like cardboard! Lets bring decent, tasty restaurants to Boracay. Don't let McDonalds and Jollibee set the standard. Last time I ate in their Kalibo outlet the toilets were disgusting and they nearly poisoned me by serving me chicken which was raw in the middle.

There are some nice clean, safe eateries on the island serving up good food but without the neon lights and tacky plastic packaging - some of the new ones in the mall are good. Cyma, Lemon Cafe, Ole, Upper Crust and Bite Club spring to mind.

Let's not cover the island with American fast food joints!

I do agree with you about how sad the situation is near Fridays, and you should see the state of the Forest at Punta Bunga/Panoly. Went there yesterday but had to leave as the chainsaws were too loud.