We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boracay after the Tsunami

minneapolis
8 posts
Save Topic
Boracay after the Tsunami

Could anyone tell me how, or if the tourism situation has changed after the tsunami? Has Boracay become much more crowded with an influx of tourists that otherwise might have gone to Thialand? any info. would be appreciated. thanks

Roger

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

In a word, yes.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

Tourism has increased over the years, but it's hard to say just how much of that was due to the Tsunami.

minneapolis
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

I should have worded my question differently.

Has tourism increased a great deal from December 04 to December 05 because of the Tsunami?

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

NO. because Boracay does not get the same mid to high quality tourists as Bali, Phuket, Maldives etc...

Boracay tourists are still mostly backpackers and koreans. koreans are now the number one tourists in the island.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

Do you think? There are a lot more package tourists now than a few years ago, and the budget accomodation is getting harder to find. There'll be no place for backpackers here in a few years - it will be too expensive!

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

Yes I think so because tsunami affected countries generally do not cater to the "packaged" tourists but more to the frequent independent travellers or FIT market (mostly north amrican, european and australian). FIt's is the market that Boracay unfortunaltely does not have because of lack of world class infrastructure and world class accomodations (with a few exeptions like Fridays, Mandala, Patio Pacific etc.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Patio Pacific Boracay
Patio Pacific Boracay
325 Reviews
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boracay after the Tsunami

But it is getting much harder for backpackers to find cheap accomodation these days...