We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Water

bern
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drinking Water

I wish to know something about the potable water in Boracay.I heard that there are many People got ill about the water,even they never drink it.Does the new watersystem works?Thanks for infos,I`ll go to Boracay in march,how is the beach in that time,still green...?

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking Water

I wonder how someone could possibly get ill from that water if they never drank it???

I have a place in Boracay, and pay a considerable amount of money to recieve that potable drinking water. I drink it every day, and have never had a problem with it.

The beach in March will be white, as usual, but there may be some algae on the shoreline - it's a seasonal thing.

bern
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking Water

Thanks a lot,Sirenna!I knew that there was a problem with coliform bakterias,but it seems like they worked it out.Isn`t it that Boracay had a bad time about this few years ago?

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking Water

The Coliform thing was in '97 or '98. It grew out of a power struggle between various RP government agencies. It was a tempest in a teapot for a few months, and then those involved in the struggle went on to other things. Memories of the publicity from it linger on and still taint Boracay even now, though.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking Water

And it was in the sea, not the tap water! The island didn't have potable tap water in '97!

Anyway, don't worry.

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking Water

The water system works. Unfortunately many cheap hotels (and sometimes not so cheap ones) are still pumping water from deep well, which is prohibited in the island.

The local government and DENR are not doing anything about it!

Deep well water can make you very sick!

If your water in the shower is salty or brackish or if your soap/shampoo does not make foam, chances are that your hotel is cheating and is still illegally getting deep well water.

You do not need to drink it to get sick. Washing your vegetables in dirty water can make you sick. Cooking rice in dirty water can make you sick. Dirty ice cubes or dirty ice cream can make you very sick.

My advise: stick to bottled water anywhere in the Philippines and check your hotel if they get the commercial and potable water.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking Water

Yes - make absolutely sure that your tap water is suitable for drinking before you try it!

Most bars, resorts and restaurants order their ice from the ice plant now, and it's perfectly safe. Only a few of the small, local restaurants and carenderias will still be making their own ice, and you should be cautious in those places (and not just about the ice!).