We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

power cuts

boracay island
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
power cuts

Although I do understand that this is not the city, wouldn't you think that when you call Akelko (the local power supplier) and inform them that one of their lines is sparking (and making interesting banging noises) near resorts where tourists are staying, to the extent that it may cause a fire hazard, and something needs to be done about it urgently, they may consider checking it out? The man on the end of the phone admitted that he was being paid to be on duty, but also confessed thst I'd woken him up, and he didn't seem so happy about that either.... and neither did he seem to care.

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: power cuts

The cause of the Great Boracay Fire of 21 Jan 2005 has not been pinned down, but one cause which has been purported was that the shop/residence where the fire first appeared was set alight by a pole-mounted Akelko transformer just adjacent to it which had a history of spitting sparks and making interesting noises.

Akelko is hopeless. A national disgrace.

"Welcome to the Philippines' number-one tourism destination."

Mentioned in this post
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: power cuts

One local newspaper reported that the talipapa fire may have started at the shoe shop, where (I quote) 'witnesses saw an unattended candle tip over'.

I ask you! If witmesses saw it,it can hardly have been unattended,can it?!

It is a disgrace that we have to pay such high prices for such a shoddy service. Very often when there is a brownout Akelco take the phone off the hook so they don't have to deal with inquiries or complaints....

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: power cuts

Sirenna said:

>One local newspaper reported that the >talipapa fire may have started at the shoe >shop, where (I quote) 'witnesses saw an >unattended candle tip over'.

The fire started on the second floor of the shop just on the main Road side of the footpath leading to Tourist Center Road. I eyewitnessed that myself when that was the only thing burning. I think that was the shoe shop -- it having been relocated from a previous location nearer the beachfront path.

The story I related earlier came from the owner of the shop. I saw it in a letter from him in "What's On" in reaction to other stories being gossiped about.

One of those gossiped stories was the candle one. Think about this: if the candle was unattended, how was its purported tipping-over eyewitnessed by witnesses who were not present to see it tip over?

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: power cuts

That is exactly the point I made in my post Bill! It can hardly have been unattended if witnesses were there to see it! I was just repeating one of the ridiculous stories that was printed in the local press, as I found it funny. How the fire started is anyone's guess.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: power cuts

my friends said the real cause is due to fire department and others not enforcing fire and building codes. Also, the shops there use make shift wiring that fire dept ignores and continues to ignore at many of the places that sprung up afterwards.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: power cuts

my friends said the real cause is due to fire department and others not enforcing fire and building codes. Also, the shops there use make shift wiring that fire dept ignores and continues to ignore at many of the places that sprung up afterwards.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: power cuts

The fire department were totally unprepared for the incident, and apparantly the pumps and hoses on the fire trucks, when they eventually arrived, were not working properly. Obviously the equipment had not been maintained and kept in working order.

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: power cuts

Most of the pumps and hoses were from other friendly resorts who came there with their own private "fire brigade". All the people and equipment on top of roof of Paradise Garden were not from the fire brigade.

You cannot blame the Boracay fire brigade though, even their salaries cannot be paid and they wanted to leave Boracay all together for lack of funds. Useless to stay in the island if salaries cannot be provided, if equipment cannot be maintained and if equipment cannot be brought to the main areas of Boracay due to obstruction on the roads.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: power cuts

What a mess. All the taxes and revenue being sucked out of Boracay and the authorities can't maintain a couple of fire trucks? Where on earth is all the money going then? I do wish they'd stop trying to market this place as a world class resort destination. It's a joke.