We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday - First time!

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Family Holiday - First time!

We are thinking of going to the Philippines next (2006) with a family of 5 (3 children ages 13, 10 and 4). I would love to take them to a resort where it is family friendly and really away from the crowd but would love to stay beach side. Planning to go there for about 2-3 weeks maybe December of January. People have recommended, Boracay but I don't know if this has been exhausted by tourism already.

Also is there danger - I heard of kidnapping happening. My mum warned me to be careful of taking the kids especially if your from overseas.

Any links to holiday resorts would be appreciated.

Thank you

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Holiday - First time!

You don't need to worry about kidnapping in Boracay! Yes, there are areas of the Philippines where it recommended that tourists do not visit, but Boracay certainly isn't one of them. It's very tourist friendly, and has a safe and relaxed atmosphere. I am a 'foreigner' living here for several years, and I can assure you that the risk is negligable.

Parts of the island have been developed for tourism, but Boracay is in no way exhausted. There are still many peaceful areas left away from the crowds.

As you are looking for a quiet part of the beach, I would recommend you go for a resort in the area south of boat station 3 - it's way quieter than the centre of White Beach, and better value for money.

Some nice places to consider include:

Dave's Straw Hat inn

Alyssa Resort

Villa Camilla

Blue Mango

3-5-7 Resort

Blue Coral

Pastora Guesthouse

Lorenzo South

Sun Village South

Boracay Beach Houses

Check out the following link to get a feel for what the island is like - I have put together a collection of tips, photos and reviews that you may find helpful.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/8ab27/157917/

Feel free to contact me if you need any more advice - I am based in Boracay and would be happy to help.

Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Holiday - First time!

Whatever you do, do not stay in Tirol & Tirol Boracay!

I hated my experience in [b]Tirol & Tirol Boracay[/b]. We stayed there from the 26th to 28th of November; it was just recently. The SERVICE was VERY SLOW. It takes HOURS (and I mean 6 hours or more) for a request to be granted. BREAKFAST was CRAPPY--3 pieces of half-toasted bread with 2 servings of jam and butter each and 2 cups of instant coffee. The place was relatively clean, though--I'll give it that.

But the worst part of the hotel was it's receptionist, Elinor. My mom booked us from the 26th to the 28th. Elinor said our reservations were for the 27th to the 29th. Her excuse was that she didn't hear my mom correctly. She didn't even apologize properly or sincerely.

In most hotels, mistakes like that will get you an upgrade and/or complimentary services. In TNT, it will land you nothing--not even better services.

We booked a beachfront room, but since she made a mistake and all the beachfront rooms were filled, we had to settle for a smaller room. This receptionist even had the gall to ask my mom to get 2 rooms, because the smaller room can only accomodate 4 adults, while we were 5! Imagine that?

Anyway, after much talk, we convinced her (and she needed convincing, imagine that?!) that we'd only take one room and just get an extra mattress. The "mattress" was a very thin foam with nylon covers. It only costs less than Php500 in Manila--we own one, that's why I know how much it costs. But the receptionist still had to charge us Php300 for the "mattress."

You think they'd give us the mattress right away? NO! We checked in at about 1pm, the mattress arrived at about 8pm.

The following day, we transferred to the new room. You think they're staff are going to assist us with the transfer? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My mom, dad and brother had to haul all our luggage to the other room.

While the room was nice, the pull out beds weren't covered with sheets and lacked pillows. So we requested for more sheets and pillows. They never arrived. My mom had to go to the linen cottage to get them.

For about Php3,000 a night, THIS IS A VERY TERRIBLE RESORT! So beware!

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Holiday - First time!

Oh not again - once is enough Kimchi!