We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caticlan or kalibo ?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
caticlan or kalibo ?

im 1st time traveller to phil.....planning to visit Boracay....

from wot im noticing seems that Caticlan airport is not in service...while the Kalibo is out of reach via the Boracay route....

any help pls ??

which is the ideal way to reach from Cebu directly...

thanks lads...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

check out the websites for Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines. Tne don't have many direct flights from Cebu to Kalibo, but there are some. Then you will bus to Boracay

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

The following airlines use CATICLAN airport:

- Seair (flyseair.com)

- Air Philippines (http://www.airphils.com/)

The following airlines use the KALIBO airport (2 hrs away from Caticlan):

- Cebu Pacific (http://www.cebupacificair.com/)

- PAL Express (www.philippineairlines.com/home/home.jsp)

- Zest Air (http://www.zestair.com.ph/)

Zest Air has the worst reputation. Count with delays with all airlines. Difference is the price: Caticlan is more expensive than Kalibo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

if possible go wiht air phil..avoid SEAIR into caticlan....

U>S>A>
Level Contributor
500 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

I agree with leftovertoo. I was less than impressed with Seair and that is understatement; Less than impressed with the service, the plane itself and the bait and switch tactics.

I am 6ft 2" and i had to bend over quite a bit to go down the isle and once in the seat my legs had to be out in the isle due to totally insufficient space to put my legs with the seat in front so close. I've been on planes that shook , rattled and rolled but this one gets the prize. Attendants that will not make eye contact and smiles are rare. This is my opinion coming from a very recent experience and i can not speak for others ;However, i would try and avoid Seair and go Air Philippines.

Huge adds in the Sunday Manila papers proclaimed that Air Phil will fly direct to Caticlan starting December first.. If that comes to be there would be one choice for me and it would not be Seair.

I traveled to other destinations while in the Philippines and did so on Air Philippines with a favorable experience on these flights.

Thomas G..............

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

Caticlan airport is currently closed due to runway extensions, this will allow larger type aircraft like the A320/A319 used by both PR and 5J to make use of the airport, it is still uncertain when they will reopen the airport for use.

Paranaque
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

Pal Express is now being operated by Air Philippines. I just got back from a PAL ticketing office to have my Manila-Caticlan ticket ( which was rebooked to Manila-Kalibo route and back to Manila-Caticlan) finally reissued. I was worried about riding Air Philippines as I haven't tried them yet. But thanks to the comment about Air Philippines, I feel much better about getting back the original route I booked. I just hope the Air Philippines flights to Caticlan do push through come December 1. We'll wait and see :-)

The PAL CSR has always been courteous on the phone, rebooking etc etc. My only comment was, they never contacted me about the changes on the flights. I was the one who had to call them and ask about the status of my booking. And up to a few days ago, when I found out that Air Philippines was resuming its flights to Caticlan, the CSR told me I had to pay the fare difference should I decide to get the Air Philippine flight to Caticlan. Good I tried again calling yesterday, just to ask for an explanation why when my original booking was to Caticlan. The CSR nicely told me that they just got a memo the other day. They would accomodate original Caticlan bookings ..all charges waived!

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

Oh no: Caticlan Airport is NOT Closed!!! It is open with winds below 15 Knots and it is up to the airline to fly in/out or not. Jetpilot change your name - and you give confusing statements.....

And Air Philippinesdidn't buy up PAL Express, but PAL Express and Air Philippines (BOTH) belong to the Philippine Airlines emporium

A little research before posting would have made matters clear....isn't-it?

Paranaque
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

No, PAL express wasn't bought by Air Philippines. And, I did further research and found this...

Oct 27, 2009 (Asia Pulse Data Source via COMTEX) -- BDRAF | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating -- MANILA, Oct. 27 (PNA) ? Starting today, PAL Express fleet of eight Bombardier turboprop aircraft will be operated by Air Philippines, after Philippine Airlines (PAL) leased its three Bombardier Q300 and five Q400 to its sister airline.

Thus, all existing PAL Express route and destinations ? 19 towns and cities out of two main hubs in Manila and Cebu ? will be retained by Air Philippines, including its competitively low fares.

Passengers will continue to depart and arrive at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 where PAL Express had been operating since July 2008.

The PAL Express livery in the 50-seater Q300 and 76-seater Q400 aircraft will be gradually replaced by that of Air Philippines.

All Air Philippines flights are code-shared with PAL, which is the marketing carrier.

Now, I'm confused. after they replace the livery of PAL Express..will it still exist?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

who cares, its all old news...same crap, different smell

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: caticlan or kalibo ?

Caticlan is just a couple of minutes away from the jetty port servicing Boracay, so it is more convenient. But flights to Caticlan are at the moment more expensive Kalibo, which is a 1.5 hour bus ride from Caticlan.