We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cebu
5 posts
Save Topic
Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

i've been to boracay twice! i last visited the island last summer '05. it was so sad to see that what i had observed a year ago worsened. the weeds along the beach makes it looks unacttractive. seems like nobody is interested in cleaning IT. as far as i can remember, the whole stretch of the white beach was full of these green things. who would want to swim in a water full of slimy weeds? Where at the moment you raise your head after swimming, bundles of weeds sticks on your hair and face. plus the viscosity of the water had gone a little too thick to tolerate

! please post your comments. i just want to hear your opinion regarding this....

but the island was still wonderful though. it could be much more magnificent if only they clean their shoreline............

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

The seaweed is seasonal, so it is not there all year round, just for a few weeks of every year (there is none at the moment). Some resorts rake it off the beach, but of course, every low tide it's going to come back. White beach has the worst problem with it. Some beaches (Puka Beach for example) don't have any at all.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

Usually its just a few meters wide, so you can easily swim past it.

tam
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

i agree to sirenna, its seasonal.. I always see these during summer.. so the following years we choose the month of December, where the beach very nice and clean..

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

yep, it is seasonal and natural up to a certain extend.

Normally less than a meter wide is normal and starts when there is no wind, the sea is quiet like a lake and the sun is hot. I have seen thin line of algae way back in 1982 when there was no commercial establishments yet in the island.

Now when you walk along the white beach you will see what is natural and not. You will see one area near Willy's rock and one in front of Sun Village (where the creek is) with up to 20 meters wide of algae. You will then smell something which is not algae and you will wonder why some resort owners have absolutely no respect for the environment and why it is allowed.

A local once told me that if you "harvest" the algae and leave it to dry under the hot sun, the color will change within 48 hours and the dry algae will become something like a white powder which will be blown away and mixed with the sand.

Like Sirenna said, you do not have to swim in the 1 meter wide algae. Just go over it and enjoy the great sea.

boracay island
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

This is true. The seaweed is only there for a few weeks. I didn't find it too much of a bother.

cebu
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

thank you very much guys! now i know it wouldn't be there for long!!! i dont have to worry anymore!!! maybe summer is not the best time to wind up in boracay. i just hope that the deteriorating image of boracay as a too commercialized dirty resort be totally gone! it's a nice place, resort owners and residents just have to be more in touch with the environment so as not to destroy the island and maintain its beauty.... :-)

boracay island
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

It needs to start with the local authorities, and unfortunately the environment is not top of their list of priorities. They make the right noises about caring, but do next to nothing. Look at the amount of construction going on at the moment!

Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

sea weeds along white beach a problem? not at all, at least not for me. i dont know much about this things but i'm sure the sea weeds are there for a reason. maybe something to do with the balance of nature. i think it also adds to the charm of the island. ; )

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

Local people on the island will tell you that the seaweed grows every year at the height of summer, and has done for some time. Other people will tell you that the seeweeds seem to be flourishing a lot more recently, and this could be down to an increase in nitrates in the water. Either way, they are not present all year round, and you won't find them on every beach either.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lots of sea weeds along the white beach!!! please post your...

The water seem to be fairly clean except for few plastic bags and some wood or leaves fallen from plants so i can't see a big problem about the water.

What shock me today when i went to mount Luho (first time) was the filthy rubbish dump next to it with dreadful fumes spreading all around this fantastic place.

I think those in charge for this island must surely have little brains in their heads to allow such a hell next to a paradise.