We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Zhuhai, Guangdong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Hi. I'm traveling to Bohol at the end of January, 2013, and have read about dengue fever in this area. As for SE Asia, I've only previously traveled to Thailand and Malaysia. Can anyone tell me how great the risk is, and whether it warrants second-guessing the trip in the first place? Thanks.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dengue Fever

I know who is that someone.

Zhuhai, Guangdong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks very much for all your responses. That helps put the issue more in perspective. I believe I will go ahead with the trip and just take precautions.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dengue Fever

To put it into perspective the place in the Philippines with the greatest incidence of dengue fever for the first six months of 2012 was Metro Manila.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dengue Fever

Yes, take precautions just to be sure and for peace of mind.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dengue Fever

I know someone who got Dengue Fever in Bohol at the beginning of December, ending up needing a short stay in hospital. I got Dengue Fever at the end of November in Mindinao (I think). It did not show up until 7-10 days later. I did not need to go to hospital, but was in bed for 2 days. I can't remember being bitten and don't know where I got it - could have been any number of places, including Manila.

I have travelled all over the Philippines and to alot of SE Asian countries and it was the first time I had caught anything. It would not stop me recommending to go to the Philippines or anywhere else for that matter. Make sure your insect repellant has DEET in it.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dengue Fever

Dengue fever can be technically be caught in a surprisingly wide range of countries, so avoiding places where it 'can' be caught would restrict your travel options quite considerably. Where suitable clothing when mossies are most active and bug spray with Deet is a much better course of action.

On the Deet, it's horrid stuff, but sadly I've just found nothing else works as effectively.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Dengue Fever

do you mean wear?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dengue Fever

lol, yes slip of the typing. Wear, not where.

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi been to Palawan and now in Bohol , just use insect repellant (sold in many shops) no reports of any illnesses! Been biten ourselves , but no illnesses ! Seems safe as any se Asia destination!

20. Re: Dengue Fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 16, 2014