We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

My wife and I are planning to travel to Cebu and Bohol in October with our two kids 4 and 6. We were wondering if it makes sense to hire a driver and car and do the sightseeing on our own rather than take a package tour. Do you really need a guide for the various places in the countryside tour, any other tour?

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

It is better to just hire a driver fr the pier and do the tour (blood compact, Baclayon church, tarsiers, chocolate hills, Loboc river, butterfly farm, Bohol Bee Farm) then he will bring you to your hotel. I find it saves you fare by getting picked up straight fr the pier. Pm me for details. I have used and recommend this driver. He can explain things to you if you ask.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

If you can afford a driver, do it. The package tours are bit too mundane for me. You can not negotiate a good deal at the pier though. I would get settled into your hotel with young kids first then decide what you want to do first. If you are going to Alona, there are many options for tours.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,220 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

In Bohol you can use Bohol Travel Buddy if you require a private tour. They are highly recommended on this forum and I also used their services and was very happy.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

Do a private tour.

One thing you must know about Bohol is that the distance between attractions is pretty far.

Furthermore, you are unfamiliar with Bohol. So why take the risk and get lost?

You can also customize the tour if you engage them privately. So do some research first about the attractions in Bohol.

I have used Travel Buddy twice and no complaints about them.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

there are drivers plying their trade at the Tagbilaran Pier that have ID showing them they are an accredited tour guide. They will know what to show with the time you have available.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

Thank you all for your replies

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

you are welcome, have a nice trip...best to your family.

8. Re: Take a package tour or hire a car and driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 04, 2013