We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

Stony Plain, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

Hi,

My husband and I are spending our honeymoon Feb. 28 - Mar 19 in the Philippines and are struggling a bit with our itinerary and what is manageable in the time we have. We would really appreciate suggestions.

Feb. 28 - arrive in Manila very early a.m. and make our way to Siquijor via flight to Dumaguete and ferry

Feb. 28 - Mar 2 or 3: Siquijor

Mar 3 - 9 - this is where we're stuck! Malapascua? Camiguin? Sugar Beach?

Mar 10 - 12 - fly to Coron from Dumaguete/Cebu/CDO (depends on above) and stay for 3 nights

Mar 13 - 17 - Tao Expeditions trip Coron to El Nido

Mar 18 - travel back to Manila from El Nido via PP (probably a very early van ride!)

Mar 19 - Manila and home (we leave in the evening)

Geographically, Bohol seems like an obvious choice to fill the gap in our plan but we haven't found much to draw us there in our research so far. My husband is a Dive Master but does not want our entire trip to revolve around diving. He plans on at least diving the around Coron and Siquijor/Apo Island. I snorkel a bit but also like relaxing on the beach, taking pictures and just walking around exploring. We both like short hikes, jungles, mountains and beautiful scenery.

We are hoping to get some variety in our trip i.e. don't just want to sit on the beach for 3 weeks. Both of us are fairly experienced travelers and like getting away from overcrowded and very touristy places. Our budget is not a major issue (we won't be low budget but not super high end either).

Advice and suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Erica

Edited: 11:56 pm, February 03, 2013
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

For 13-17, you only have 5 days.

Then you have to fly back to Manila. It just appears to me that it is better to stay in the area than 'waste' 2 days traveling to & fro.

Since you are already in beaches for so long, base yourself in Dumaguete and visit nearby attractions. It is a small town rather than city. You can visit waterfalls, lakes, Apo island and see turtles, great coral formation and so on. You can do dolphin watching in Bais, visit the sandbar or caving in Mabinay. Enough to keep you occupied for 5 days without all the traveling.

Otherwise, there is always Bohol. ;)

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

on march 9th -there is coron -cebu flight with cebu pacific

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

I agree with sole, if you intend to be in Siquijor, then choose a close destination, such as Dumaguete.

If your husband likes to dive, Apo island/dauin are must dives for anyone interested in diving. You could also do Bohol, Balicasag island is one of the top commercial dive sites in the philippines

Stony Plain, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

Can you dive Apo Island from Siquijor? Or is it too far? We have seen trips advertised from Coco Grove to Apo. Thanks everyone!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

Yes you can dive Apo from Siquijor, they usually require minimum of 4 divers to make the trip and if the seas are rough in any way, can be a memorable but not pleasant journey. It is also quite expensive, at least 5000php for 2 tank dive. From Dumaguete, you can get 3 tank dive at Apo for only 3000php. That is why when I travel to Siquijor I dive Siquijor sites only

Stony Plain, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

Thanks! We're thinking we might just spend the last few nights in Dauin so he can dive Apo from there instead. We thought it would be better to not be wasting too much time traveling for our last days.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

You can dive Apo island with dive operators in Dumaguete. If you choose to stay in Dauin, look at Pura Vida resort[ was just voted in TA top 25 places to stay} Mikes dauin resort, El Dorado beach resort, if on a budget, Liquid resort, if splurging Atmosphere, all good choices

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

Highly recommend Liquid Resort. Owners are nice people and it has a sanctuary right off their shore.

Pura Vida and Mikes has the better beach bit still dark. Atmosphere....hmmmm...

19. Re: Philippines Island Itinerary - 3 weeks in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 07, 2014