We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balayong Festival

Which Puerto Princesa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Balayong Festival

Hi I saw this listed in the Festivals and google told me

"The festival commemorates the founding anniversary of the City of Puerto Princesa highlighted by balayong tree-planting, street dancing and colorful floral parade depicting the Palawan Cherry Blossoms from which the festival derived its name.

A merry mixture of socio-civic, cultural, historical, and sports activities are part of the run events. At the ‘Tabuan’ parade (tabuan means ‘marketplace’), farmers fisherfolks, market vendors, traders and buyers showcase the city’s best products and revel as a thanksgiving for blessings and bountiful harvest.

The week-long celebration culminates with the awarding ceremonies for outstanding accomplishments by notable Puerto Princesans and the crowning of Ms. Puerto Princesa."

Can anyone tell me if this starts on the 4th and goes for a week, or is it the week leading up to March 4th?

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Balayong Festival

hi -this is what my contact in pp says sometimes it started during march 1 and ends at march 7, the celebration depends on the local government

the will post the one week activity 2-3weeks before the celebration ,maybe vetus can shed more light

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balayong Festival

clareirishman has it right. Not a lot of notice is given about such things.

At the moment (i.e. this morning), the only information the Manageress of the Tourism Office at the Airport could give me was "it will be around the second week in March".

I'll persevere.............

Edited: 10:16 pm, February 01, 2013
Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balayong Festival

No program found yet, but it's safe to assume that the parade,etc will take place on Monday March 4 as that day is declared a "non-working holiday" in Puerto Princesa.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balayong Festival

Thanks, I might have to cancel my Cebu part of my trip and hang around Palawan a little longer.

5. Re: Balayong Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 13, 2014