We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suspicious Reviews

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Topic
Suspicious Reviews

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294257-d2…

It appears that these reviews may be very suspicious. A lot of 1 posters reviewing in a short period of time in a place like Puerto Princessa.11 out of 12 reviews ranking the reviews excellent which is a very unusual trend. They have shot to No 1 ranking and replaced another restaurant that also had dubious reviews. This many reviews in a short space doesn’t even occur in the larger cities. Its either very dubious or the restaurant is soliciting reviews from diners.

Providing the reviews arent written by the owner or friends of the owner and are honest reviews this is not against the rules but would be clever ploy by the restaurant. That is also providing that there were also no enticements offered by the restaurant.

Id love other opinions on these reviews. Vetus comes to mind as he is located in PP and may be able to give further insight.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,812 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suspicious Reviews

A perfect example of "Vietnamese style" reviews. No doubt that they are dubious.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suspicious Reviews

Great pickup tommomelbourne.

The use of exclamation marks in the heading of more than one review is a likely giveaway.

I have used the 'review is suspicious' link provided by TA to highlight to TA staff all but one of the reviews as potentially suspicious.

If others concur. please similarly email TA staff.

Thnakfully, the Filipino TA section is rarely burdened by suspicious reviews: one other restaurant in Puerto Princesa and one hotel in Paco, Manila come to mind. Let's try to keep it that way. Integrity, not cheating, is the best way to grow sustainable Filipino tourism. It's also respectful of the hospitality industry and local and foreign visitors alike?

Wjo wants to be misled by those who 'bump' their hotel, restaurant or attraction falsely up the TA relative popularity rankings by falsifying reviews?

Edited: 7:05 am, August 17, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suspicious Reviews

Yes I also have reported them as suspicious to TA.

If any any other members agree please report using the link provided below so that TA will investigate. If its a fake review its not fair to those restaurants who do the right thing. The trend Ive noticed is that all restos have varying rankings by members but 11 out of 12 excellent reviews goes against all stats even for michelin ranked restaurants.

I would prefer to dine at a restaurant ranked No 1 on the basis of legitimate reviews.

Tommo

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suspicious Reviews

Yes, I read a couple today that had me quite incredulous!

I'll have a careful read again, and if justified will report as dubious.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suspicious Reviews

Vetus

Perhaps an anonymous visit some time will confirm if the higher than michelin star reviews are warranted.

Or we could save this for my visit in the future lol.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,812 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suspicious Reviews

I reported all of those as suspicious... even the lone negative comment.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
194 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suspicious Reviews

Only in the Philippines...i was amazed Ka Louies wasnt in the list

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,812 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suspicious Reviews

This allegedly bogus reviews are more rampant in Vietnam, Cambodia, India and Thailand forums.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suspicious Reviews

Let's hope Vetus can provide some 'impartial' local feedback sooner rather than later.

My fear is that tommomelbourne may 'stand out' just a little hehe, especially if our 'friends' at the restaurant concerned have downloaded a TA screenshot of his wonderful hat from tommo's reviews or personal TA page LOL.

Edited: 9:20 am, August 18, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suspicious Reviews

I thought Id blend in with all the local rice farmers...or perhaps there a target on that hat. Im not sure.

Tommo