We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

So I will be flying into Manila mid January 2014 and out of Puerto Princesa mid February. I am backpacking solo on a tight budget so I need rather cheap accommodation, I'm a 20 year old female so places where I can mingle with other people, close enough to beaches, towns etc. would be great, but also a couple of nights where I can relax and enjoy being on my own will be good as well.

If any one could give me some recommendations it would be really appreciated, thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,628 posts
1,573 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

elizakate1993

Have a look at the FAQs to the right of each of the respective forums as there is a lot of this basic information that will help you. You can also use the search function to find this information. For example type "budget accomodation" in the search facility above highlighted in green and you will find lots of information.

For eg I found this in the El Nido Forum FAQs to get you started!

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294256-i9213-k…

Tommo

Edited: 4:09 am, November 10, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

thanks Tommo!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,768 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Travel to Taytay and San Vicente in Palawan ex Puerto Princesa (by road).

'The road less travelled' may sometimes be the highlight of a holiday.

You could also travel by bus and ferry from manila to Naga - Legaspi- across to Masbate - somehow down to Cebu City - Dumaguete - wonderful Siquijor Island - Cebu - fly to Puerto Princesa with www.flypalexpress.com

A great one way adventure.

There are many excellent value pensions in larger towns and cities (what we would call a motel) that may cost P700 - P1200 a night throughout the land of 7107 islands.

Edited: 5:15 am, November 10, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Thanks Victorianlad, I'm pretty keen on Taytay and Siquijor but it will all depend on how much time I have and yes I usually prefer a road less traveled, I might ask locals where is best when I get there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

do you have any worries about the islands being devasted lately? im travelling in january for 6 weeks...flying into cebu.. just wondered what your thoughts are

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Yeah SPEGRAM83, the more I hear on the news, the more scared I am. I haven't really been able to find any straight answers on whether or not the places I am going are still okay to visit but I'm not going to cancel any plans because in 2 months time I'm hoping that things will be a little better.

After the disaster I found a relief volunteer work project on Bohol called All Hands and they literally need as much help as possible, so I signed up for the end of January. Although my "island paradise holiday" type of trip probably isn't going to happen, I feel like I need to help.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Near Alona Beach on Panglao Island Bohol. P750 per night for a fan room which includes **free** motor bike hire.

http://hopehomes-danao.com/index.php/en/

Please be aware though that the room is very bare. Bed and fan only with a cold water shower. I was booked in to stay in the fan room but changed to an aircon room on arrival. For P1300, still including free motorbike hire, I got an instant hot water shower, cable TV and minibar.

This is where I stay in Manila. P980 for their best room with aircon, cable TV, double bed and private bathroom with hot wter shower, good for 2. They have cheaper options including dormatory accommodation.

angelfire.com/biz2/…index.html

This is where I stay in Cebu City

http://www.cebucenturyhotel.com/

They have rooms from P640 per night with aircon, private bathroom and cable TV. I stay in a deluxe family room with two double beds, aircon, cable TV, fridge, free local telephone calls, free wifi, private bathroom and room service until 10pm. They cost P1150.

However, this is probably the best deal in Cebu City. P800, good for 2, for a room with aircon, cable TV and private bathroom. This hotel has a swimming pool and barbecue area.

http://metroparkhotelcebu.com/

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

All your choices are lightly hit areas by the recent super typhoon. Unless you want to go to northern Cebu, which is devastated.

Please be aware that you can have typhoons in January so never ever trust a boat to get you to a plane on time as boats are cancelled in rough weather. However, the most devastating thing about a typical typhoon would be being unable to travel. They do not usually cause the devestation seen with the latest typhoon.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

I was planning to visit Manila, Puerta Princesa, El Nido and Boracay with connecting flights with Zest Air on 23rd November for 3 weeks. I have rung the travel insurance company this morning in the light of the devastation in the Philippines and they say that a full refund can be obtained due to the Philippines being in a state of calamity following the recent cyclone Yolanda. I do not want to risk the safety of my 3 children who are travelling with me. Should I cancel the entire holiday and then go to the Philippines in 2014, or should we proceed with this trip? I feel that I would do better maybe to donate some of the travel money reimbursed to us to the people most affected by the disaster.

I need an expert opinion here please!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Thanks very much Big_Jim_Leyte, your posts were super helpful. I'll check them out now. I'm thinking about staying in a hostel called “Our Melting Pot” in Manila, has anyone stayed here?