We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel or land travel?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
72 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel or land travel?

JBR (Just BAck Report)

The fine print-

I am a very TA type of traveler, meaning whenever I go to a place, I make sure I research about it so that I will get the best deals and best value for money trips. I will embarrassingly admit that I was swamped with work for this trip, that I took the advise (oh, horror!) of a tour guide.

I am very lucky to say that my tour guide (who is based in El Nido) was very helpful, and was after a good experience for me and my family MORE than her commission (I am very cynical, I know) SO those who are looking for an easy time of it, call Jinky Llanera of Voyager Tours +63 999 991 8423 and +63 927 800 2478.

The players:

Mom, Dad, 2 teen sons

4D/3N

What did we do?

1 hour air travel: PAL Express Mla to PP

6 hours land trip: arranged by Jinky

Why choose to travel by land?

First off, its much cheaper than direct air travel AND I'm not too fond of small planes. The van we rode on was a Hi ACe Toyota Grandia, it was chartered for our use only. Hence we paid a premium for this private use, which in my books is value for money considering the amount I saved with the airfare. The airconditioning was good, the seats were comfy, there were seatbelts, headrest, a dvd player(!), we bought our mobile wifi and ipads, and above all else: our driver was careful. He knew the road and every stop we went to, he knew the people. I felt secure and safe.

Timeline-

We arrived in Puerto Princesa 9am, got into the van. First stop at Roxas was 11am(ish) and we ate in a roadside "carinderia" (cafeteria). Next stop was at Taytay around 1pm(ish) for bathroom break and we arrived in El Nido town 3pm(ish).

The stops-

Roxas Town- roadside carinderia (cafeteria), I think it was "Bacuit Grill" or something like that, I didn't like the food, truth be told. When we traveled back to PP for our return flight, we didnt go back this route.

Taytay Town- Casa Rosa. This is where we went during our return travel. It was a garden setting with a view of FOrt Isabelle in the bay. Nice place, ok food. Better than Bacuit Grill. A definite stopover, if you like killing time.

Would I do it again?

No. The land travel was so exhausting. Its just too bad the air strip in El Nido accomodates only small planes :( I WANT to return because it is a beautiful place! I guess, I'll just bite the bullet and face my fear of riding small planes!

Edited: 2:32 am, November 05, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,233 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel or land travel?

nita300 thanks for sharing your insights.

The dilema certainly is cost v convenience.

I didnt mind the Roro Bus Trip but if fares were more reasonable I would certainly have flown ITI. I guess a compromise is to fly in one way and use land transport one way.

Tommo

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
72 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel or land travel?

You got that right, Tommo!

Air plus land is also a good option (now, why didnt I think of that?!) -- maybe I'll take this route next time.

We thought land (both ways) was our best bet because we had a long weekend. I was really exhausted at the end of the trip, though. Although, looking at our pics, the memories of the perfect beach stamped out that whiny side of me in an instant :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,233 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel or land travel?

Did you happen to try Altrove? What was your favourite resto?

Tommo

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
72 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel or land travel?

Argh! NO :(

I read your JBR just now, much to my dismay. Shoulda-woulda-coulda ;)

We stayed in Cadlao Resort which was a little bit far and we were not able to explore the town much. I'll write about that experience in another post.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,233 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel or land travel?

Save that for next time ;-)

6. Re: Air travel or land travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, November 13, 2013
Edited: 3:05 am, November 13, 2013
7. Re: Air travel or land travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 15, 2014