We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

El Nido, Philippines
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

I'm posting this to spread the word that there is still no bank and no ATM anywhere in or near El Nido. There are too many tourists not knowing about this and are desperate to get cash. Only one gas station gives out a little bit of cash, but maybe two or three people a day are lucky to get some and all the others end up worrying for a few days how to wire themselves cash through Western Union.

There are plans of BPI putting up a bank, but as of now, BPI is still looking for a location to build a bank :(.

El Nido Paradise
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours
Buhay Isla
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
DIRK Travel and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Rentals, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Day Trips
Mystic Mangrove Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

While YouLiveOnlyOnce above suggested that remoteness may not be the issue, perhaps there has been a fear among bank executives that an El Nido branch would be a very easy target.

I do not know if El Nido has many police, but while TA does not encourage such discussion, we do not hear complaints of tourists being robbed. Since I have been to many remote Filipino locations, I am delighted to report that I have never had any problems with theft, so perhaps the presumed attitude of bank managers is incorrect.

I agree that whichever bank is first in the door will make a killing. Tourism in El Nido is different to many other worldwide locations: it has not dramatically increased through group tours, but by word of mouth.

Philippines is not much on the group tours list, but it increasingly is on the independent fraveller bucket list, with TA members such as YLOO and the amazing mousehunt constantly helping to spread the word.

Edited: 4:45 am, April 01, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

I thin this is the ATM that the earlier poster spoke of -

…blogspot.com/2011/06/1st-atm-in-el-nido-pal…

Only accepts FCB cards! As good as no ATM!! As it is, FCB is a small bank with just 65 branches, not a member of bancnet, so very few tourists - even from the Phils - would have an account in FCB!

Now, a BPI or BDO with bancnet would be most welcome. And it would definitely make people spend more in El Nido... what say?

Edited: 6:18 am, April 01, 2014
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

i am still wading thru all my bookings and places we are going to while in Palawan, working out what we have already paid for, and what things we still have to pay for when we arrive at each location, then work out which of those that we still have to pay for can be done using amex or mastercard, then work out the rest as cash, plus spending money, then add 30% on top just in case.

i was told by Toby from the Island Camping Adventures that it is ok to carry a fair amount of cash around palawan, but it is still daunting all the same.

does anyone know if the bank that is in EN already is actually a walk in bank with the ATM out the front, or is it just an ATM for local account holders to use.

it may have been handy if you could open an account with that bank in manila, and then use that ATM while traveling in or near EN, and they possibly have other ATM's located in other towns that you can use.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

@Glen

The above mentioned bank is a local Filipino bank (with more of a presence in Bohol and parts of Visayas and Mindanao).

Having said that, I would suggest that you contact Angkulet - I had used here blog while researching for my trip to El Nido and she was helpful - she lives in El Nido, and not being connected to any hotel, her advice was more objective.

From what I noticed, Palawan pawn shop - http://www.palawanpawnshop.com/ - is a more popular money transfer service used in this region (as compared to MLHuillier etc)

I agree with Toby - it is ok (and often more dependable) to bring cash as Palawan seemed to be rather safe.

Mentioned in this post
Visayas
Visayas
Philippines
UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

and I think still not happened. Same situ in Port Barton though EN does now have 24 hour electric...only 6 for PB

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

@ Martyn

El Nido now has 24 hours electricity? Wow - this is definitely good news as it was a major gripe of mine.

It is a pity that the others in PB have not taken a leaf from Cacnipa island closeby which does not have any electricity issues thanks to solar cells, yet they do not charge much from residents. (We paid less than 2500 pesos per night from our cottage - with brekky - and always had a solar fan and light available. It was never hot)

Arhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Sitting in El Nido right now, and there is still no ATM in this town.. Cash has more value than the peso itself; I would rather pay 10% credit card fee than spend all of my cash on accommodation or scuba/snorkel gear. However there should be a Petron gas station where you can withdraw money, but as said earlier, you have to be there early in the morning. There should be another place in town, but it's only rumors.

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO GET AN ATM IN THIS TOWN?! We don't need a bank - just an atm!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

It is easy to bring an ATM in town but difficult to refill it!

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Welcome to El Nido - for some reason, it is difficult to get money, atms, vegetables here (though it is easy to get the same in Coron which is just a bit away!)

El Nido lovers say:" That is the laid back charm of El Nido."

I don't agree, but boo hoo... no one listens to me.... hu huh....

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Not only el nido has no atm, we heard we could stop in roxas on our way from nido to port barton ,as there would be an atm.after all,yes, it was there, but we tried multiple times that day and couldn't get any cash at all.roxas is no good place to stay,so avoid the trouble. We had to go to puerto princessa again because of it.

In emergencies you can get cash out at some restaurants and one hotel in el nido.but they charge you the ridiculous surcharge of 10 per cent these days.

Again, calculate well, even two years later ,2015,still only reliable atms in Puerto princessa.