We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Hi,

We are making a short trip and wanted to visit both Cebu and El Nido. Our last trip was to the Perhentian islands in Malaysia and we loved it. So anything like that suits us - white beaches, scenic, quiet - not too touristy, no huge resorts. Should we limit the trip to just one stop, Cebu or El Nido? Can we travel between Cebu and El Nido without going via Manila - what is quickest? We need to avoid really bumpy boat rides or long bus trips due to time (budget not really a problem).

Thanks

Luke

Tao Expeditions
Sightseeing Tours
Buhay Isla
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
El Nido Party Boat
Multi-day Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kraken El Nido
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,761 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Cebu would be a great base as you can visit Bohol, Siquijor (lovely beach)and Dumugette easily by a short fast ferry ride.

I would prefer to spend my time in El Nido but its a 6 hour bus ride away from Puerto Princesa. El Nido is a great laid back town with a beach that is average but the best scenery is seen during Island Hopping. Has some good dining options.

Coron is also an option with direct flights from Manila but quite frankly is an uncharismatic place with no beach but with absolutely stunning scenery to be seen during Island Hopping. Malcapua is a stunning beach you can visit.

Cebu Pacific has direct flights from Cebu to Puerto Princesa Palawan.

Tommo

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

I would agree with Tommo,

You could fly from Cebu to either Busuanga [coron] and enjoy what this area has to offer. Coron town is only 30 min van ride, [150php per person] away and the island hopping tours and scenery really is incredible with fewer tourists than El Nido.

Or you can fly to Puerto Princesa and take the RoRo bus [6hrs 483php aircon] to El Nido. El Niod has many places to stay and good restaurants in an ocean front town, but does have more tourists than Coron.

Either way, you could get good promo rates on Cebu Pacific from Mactan airport, and either destination would be a great choice

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

You may even want to consider Sipalay Sugar Beach.

I have never been there but based on what I read, it may suit you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,761 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

There are direct flights from Cebu to Bacolod then take a bus to reach to Sugar Beach Sipalay.

I too havent been there but based on VL reviews and his JBR looks great and meets your requirements.

Tommo

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Thanks all. Really great advice.

So if I'm thinking Manila - Cebu (but maybe give Sugar beach a miss as we don't have the time for the extra travel) do the sight seeing thing / Bohol. Then get a flight Cebu - Busuanga and concentrate on island hopping tours from Coron. Shame to miss El Nido, but seems like I just don't have the time for a 6 hour bus ride up and back to Puerto Princesa. I'd be trying to get from Cebu to El Nido in one day, and that seems unreasonable. Are there really no beaches in Coron worth staying at? What about an island off Coron?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

There are no beaches on Coron town but there are a lot of beaches on the nearby islands. Outside the 5 star hotels, there are no beach front properties in Coron.

Coron Beach:

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 10:22 pm, March 25, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Also do not mix up Coron Town with Coron Island.

Coron Town is NOT in Coron Island.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,761 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

If budget isnt a problem as stated in your thread there are many nice resorts located outside of Coron Town. You will find some of these listed here:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g729733-Coron_Pala…

Coron Town has only basic accomodation. The best accomodatio in town is the luxurious Corte De Mar Hotel.

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Hi Badge!

...Why not take Manila straight to Bohol then do Cebu to Busuanga?

You can fly directly and not go thru Cebu. Saves you time and money.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philippines in 10 days Cebu and El Nido, possible?

Yep, thanks all.

Will do Manila, Cebu, Busuanga, Manila. Will find a good place in Coron with a beach as Tommo suggested. Anybody know what the boat rides are like out to islands off Coron? Looking at some of those expensive resorts, just wondering how the travel will be for my wife.