We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

el Nido or Bohol???

Long Beach...
1 post
Save Topic
el Nido or Bohol???

My husband and I are traveling to the Philippines for 6 nights in April and I can not decide where to stay. There are so many great places. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Bohol (Panglao) or El Nido. Which would be better? Which is easier to travel to? Just want to relax and don't want anything too crowded but we also have a tight budget. Thanks for any advice

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

if u are arriving in manila -then either place is accessible by flight -if u can get promo flights in next few months -then probably going to bohol would save a lot -what dates in april?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

Bohol is a lot easier to get to. El Nido entails a 5-6 hour bus ride from Puerto Princessa but if you can bear that, the sacrifice is definitely worth it.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
270 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

Budget = Bohol.

Luxury = El NIdo (unless a Palawan DE here can draw up a Budget El Nido trip for you, then congratulations!)

Both are known for relaxation and not being crowded, as you may have learned through your research.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
296 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

Re: budget travel

I'm not on a very tight budget, but because i'd rather spend money on art and collectibles to take home, I always end up travelling simply. Here are some blogs that have been a real help in my planning. They are geared towards backpacking and budget travel, but provide so much more. I really appreciate their wealth of info:

http://journeyingjames.com/

http://www.lakas.com.ph/

http://flipnomad.com/

My first trip to Philippines is November. I chose Palawan because of Tao Expeditions, which is quite the splurge for us.

-rr

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

@missmelissa321,

...another vote for Bohol if you are worried about budget. altho el nido is just lovely.

...more places to enjoy in Bohol as well. And easier to hop to other islands just in case you change your minds.

sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

El Nido easily beats Panglao in my opinion. but of course depends what you want out of your trip and your time & money constraints etc..but you can definitely do el nido on a tight budget...

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

It is very possible to do El Nido on a budget.

The biggest drawback for El Nido is the long bus ride from Puerto Princessa.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

It's no doubt cheaper and easier to get to Bohol. And it's beautiful too, but El Nido is a gem, if you are willing to spend a little bit more.

There is a direct flight to and from El Nido thru ITI.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

Don't forget, you can get direct flights to El Nido from Manila, can't remember the airline though.

It's a stunning place and has to be seen IMO.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,233 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: el Nido or Bohol???

ITI as in the above post. Quite expensive.Most reliable option is fly to PP then land transport to El Nido.

Tommo