We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to El Nido

Nagasaki
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to El Nido

Just wondering what your thoughts are moving to El Nido with a 2 year old. We're foreigners (husband with a Filipino heritage) from the UK but looking for a different pace of life for at least a year.

Thanks!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to El Nido

go there, see it..tour around..look at all..then decide...

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to El Nido

You won't be the first to try it, it will certainly be a change in pace!

However, after a little while, you may find it a bit inconvenient driving over 200 kms when you need the ATM.............

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to El Nido

I agree with the posters above. Have a vacation in El Nido to get an introduction of the place. As you are a stranger to us, it is impossible for us to know if you will love to reside in El Nido for a year.

Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to El Nido

I know of a few people that have settled in El Nido and with babies from all parts of the world. There's one doctor but the only decent hospital is in Puerto Princesa so expect to travel 5hrs by land for emergencies. Depending on where you set up base you'll either have electricity 16hrs/day or less if you live on the outskirts. And that's assuming you can rely on the electric company. Water supply depends on where you are too but definitely not for drinking so you'll have to buy purified water. Internet connection is good in town. Public education is weak, but there's one private school (Potter's) that's hopefully showing promise.

These are just some of the things you'll wanna consider. I like El Nido because it's not exactly off the grid--access to basic supplies is easy and plenty--but still fairly remote and very laidback and slow. Most people at least understand English and are used to living with foreigners. But like everyone else says, best to take a long vacation to really scope and appreciate.

Nagasaki
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to El Nido

Thanks everyone for your comments. We're just waiting for the job there to be finalised and we'll probably try it for a year. Really the only thing we're really concerned about is the hospital/doctor situation especially having a toddler that's never lived in the Philippines.

Edited: 8:51 am, January 22, 2012
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to El Nido

It's a beautiful place. Small town setting. But theft is on the rise with all the "rich" tourist coming to town. Some say it's bring in out of town people to "feast" on the tourist.

I was just burglarized on Feb 9th. So watch out.

It happened at the Tandikan Beach Cottages. So be careful anywhere in that area on the beach.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to El Nido

Be careful. I have been traveling for 4 months in most of SE Asia now and although El Nido appears to be the nice little, safe community. It is not. I have hard, bad experience to prove it. BE VERY CAREFUL staying on the beachfront of El Nido. I was burgularized at the Tandikan Beach Cottages. I was excited at first during the day because the price was decent on the beach but later found this place is not well lit and terrible security. My door was locked and windows closed. During dinner, "someone" broke in and took my stuff. No forced entry. The owner said I must have left the door or window open. I know I closed them because people were smoking out front. He claims it never happens there. But I spent most of the next day at the Police station. They weren't much help. But I finally got one cop to admit that this was not the first break in at this small hotel. Many locals also told me it happens there often and many other places on the beachfront. They said, it is a recent problem with more tourist in town. So beware. I have been traveling for 3 months and this is he first place I had an issue and I have been very cautious. The place looks like paradise but don't feel comfortable with your things. It's sad because this place is so beautiful. But the Chief of Police didn't seem to care that crime is on the rise in her city. In fact, I sat there and watched her care more about painting her building all day than helping me out. She was insulted when I told her I was not impressed with their service. I hope she starts to care more before El Nido becomes as known for crime as beauty. So beware of Tandikan for sure but the area in general. As more and more tourist and their MONEY and things come to visit, so does the crime. I am told the road to El Nido will be done in August 2012. Once done, the big buses will start to come. Get ready for bus loads from Korea and China as I saw in many other SE Asia locations. I hope the Ayala corporation (who owns 65% of the El Nido land) and the city learn from the mistakes of Boracay, Bagiuo and other busy tourist places. I also hope the Police chief starts to admit there is a growing problem in her community. She claims there is no issue. I really loved the beauty of El Nido. I was just happy I was able to travel there before it all gets swallowed up.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to El Nido

FECTraveler - OK, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but to keep repeating your post just gets boring.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to El Nido

El Nido is too tiny a place to live in. I would consider living in Bohol instead.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to El Nido

Bohol is smaller than Palawan