We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

singapore
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Topic
Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

And so we took a trip to lovely El Nido, the journey there was not simple. Prior to arriving in peaceful El Nido and being amongst the lovely locals, we had to transfer at Manila. Bear with my elaborate entry, I'll try to summarize our experiences.

PLEASE, insist they use a meter. For we were conned and they will use their nice smiles and kind words of 'dont worry mdm' when you ask whats the price between the airports, and charge you up to ten times thereafter. horrid experience, we'll just tk it as if we donated money.

Upon arriving in El; Nido, we stayed at Entalula (review much later below).

Please purchase OFF lotion and use it whereever you go, once you step onto the beaches. El Nido is a lovely place, the waters are so clear you can see the corals underneath, the fish swimming around. You'd imagine you were in a large swimming pool because the water ripples and is aquamarine.

Food: Best food we tried was at Bhing's (near the pharmacy). Her hygiene practices are admirable, and only mineral water is used to wash your food. Try the fish curry, the adobo and loads more on the menu. I would think try any of her curries, you cannot find anything like that in El Nido. The fish was so fresh, the veggies crisp and the aroma mouth watering. also liked the fact they have mosquito coils around so you dont become a meal while having your meal.

next best food: Sea Slugs- their shakes and grilled squid.

We booked our combi tour A and C with Tao. We were not told that the discounted price of 2000pesos meant that it did not cover all the places in tour A and C.

Instead, at the end of our trip, we discovered that it covered certain highlighted areas. Not to complain, they did bring us to 7 or 8 places out of the usual ten places. What we were peeved about was they omitted simizu island. when asked, the boatman advised us that Simizu is part of tour B and C. The lady incharge then told us he omitted it due to time constraints, fair enough.

On the second day, we went back there and asked to visit Simizu and Pangulasian Islands (these two were the ones we really wanted to snorkel at). She didnt have a boat, so she hooked us up with Peter from Island Tours.

Given a choice, I would have booked the tours with Peter right from the start. he's awesome, friendly and he engages you in the trip. We fed an oyster to the schools of fishes.

His banca may be small, but bless the winds and the currents, your trip would still be smooth.

Simizu Island cannot be missed, we found it the best snorkelling site.

Due to the fog in July, we could not do the sunset tour. So we opted for a fishing tour with a local fisherman. Best experience ever! Deep ocean fishing with a simple line, he mentioned i was the first to catch 5 different types of fish. haha!

Massages: do try, It's called Hilot i think, put me right to sleep.

Entalula: Nice clean place, Cabana D right on the sands, a few steps into the beach. The room was small, barely room to move around, no TV etc, lest you choose to watch it in the common living room. Perks are that it has a nice wood finishing, a lone cottage by itself, a common kitchen (should you wish to cook), no mosquitos encountered. Sheets and pillows are comfortable and were changed during our stay.

However, the toilet looks like everything is going to fall off, no soaps etc provided( you can easily buy travel packs from the stalls around).

Entalula's girls are not exactly helpful. On our last day, we were told by them at our point of checkout (3pm), that ITI had phoned them two hours before, to tell them that our flight had been moved from 5pm to 3pm. When we asked them for a phone, they said they didnt have one. Question is then, how did ITI phone them?

Art Cafe: disappointed with their food, and their lack of initiative in trying to contact us.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Entalula
Entalula
166 Reviews
Palawan Island, Philippines
Sea Slugs
Sea Slugs
367 Reviews
Simizu Island
Simizu Island
208 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

Jilly, a most interesting and comprehensive report that gives very useful information. Good on you.

When you have the time and inclination, it would be much appreciated if you could visit TA's home page, click on the 'write a review' option and formally review each accommodation establishment and restaurant that you patronised.

Some of the restaurants in partcular may not yet be listed on the TA database: you will need to fill out a brief form with a beige-coloured background, and then wait to receive an email from TA staff asking you to complete the review.

Reviewing experiences one-by-one through the 'write a review' option allows TA to give each hotel, restaurant or tourist attraction an overall popularity ranking; it is also the first place where most TA site visitors go for information on establishment X, Y or Z. Many thanks.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,332 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

Hello Jilly, Thank you for this very extensive trip report. I encourage you to post more of these trip reports of your holiday in the Philippines so many more will learn from your experience and in turn they will have a good time just like yours. It's good to know that you enjoyed your stay here in the Philippines (except for your taxi trips in Manila).

Happy travels!

Edited: 8:47 am, July 07, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

Good to hear about your trip Jill...hope it was everything you expected!

things do tend to run slower in the phils...there are many vendors in el nido who offer great service for the tours, its always a good idea to have a look around once you get there

singapore
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

Hi all!

thanks! i will review them one by one when the time permits, El Nido was a great experience.

To those that havent been there, if there's anything, do drop me a message, I'd be more than glad to help.

Hi CrgAust,

It was a blast! The waters are amazingly clear and the marine life wonderful.

I hope the environmental fee goes to sustaining it.

Other than getting stung by small jellyfish, which i guess couldnt really be helped, it was great! anywhere else to recommend?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

hello; Jill

I would like to go to El Nido. Can you recommend a good hotel in good location? By beach; resturants; stores close by. We will be going to

the PI from Florida this December 2010.

Thanks; Mike

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Cebu City
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

Jill,

Can you give a review on Entalula will be staying there this March. Need tips. Will you recomend it? Have not deposited my payment yet so i can still change it. Hope to hear from you. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Entalula
Entalula
166 Reviews
7. Re: Trip Review- PS. must try Bhing's curries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 26, 2012