We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tao Expedition

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Private Tao Expedition

Hi,

My husband and I have booked a private expedition with Tao. On the website it states: "On a Private Expedition you can help plan your route so you can visit the tourist highlights of both towns if you like". My question for anyone who has done a Tao trip is:

We arrive in El nido 3 days before our Tao trip, would we be better to do the tourist highlights ourselves and keep our 5 days with Tao for the more remote/off the beaten track areas or will 5 days be enough to include both tourist highlights + off the beaten track?

Hope my question makes sense;-)

Cheers A

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tao Expedition

I have not done their private expedition but yes, that is a good idea. However, once you leave Elnido, the places you will be are off-the-beaten areas until you reach Coron.

I wish there are more time to be in and explore the Linapacan area.

Also, you may do the same in the Coron area

It make sense, i mean your question. It gave me a better idea for my next Tao tour.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tao Expedition

Hi Edwinic,

Thanks for your reply, it was really helpful. We only have one night in Coron after the Tao so i think we might see the tourist highlights in Elnido ourselves and then maybe include only the coron highlights in our tao trip.

Thanks again

A

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tao Expedition

You are welcome.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
186 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Tao Expedition

We did a private expedition with Tao last year and loved it. We went the opposite route starting in Coron and ending in El Nido. In El Nido, with Tao, we visited places that are part of the standard island hopping tours in El Nido so there was no need to take any more for us. The good thing was that we always got there after the other boats left leaving us to enjoy the areas in relative isolation with the exception of the Big Lagoon.

You will find your itinerary will depend on the weather. Our guide always consults with the captain to see whether a site is good to visit. In January last year there was a lot of wind in Bascuit Bay and big waves so we were limited to areas that were protected like the lagoons.

After we left Tao we rented motorbikes in El Nido to explore (visit Nacpan beach), hiked and basically chill out. You're going to have a fantastic time with Tao!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Tao Expedition

Hi feistM, thankyou for your post. We are really looking forward to the tao experience. Is there any other little tips about the tao private expedition we should know? Things to take etc?

We had been tossing up the idea of renting a motor bike to explore elnido before our expedition. Which company did you use and was it pretty safe to get around?

Thanks again.

A

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
186 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Tao Expedition

You will be very well taken care of by the Tao crew. There will be lots of food and drink. Be prepared to eat a lot of seafood. Our ' Old School' captain even went diving for sea urchin for us! We were in and out of the water all day so we basically lived in our swimming suits. Make sure you bring lots of suntan lotion as the sun can be really intense so you'll go through a lot. They provide snorkels and fins but we brought our own because we also snorkelled on our own in Coron before our Tao trip. One thing we wish we had brought was an underwater camera.

In El Nido we checked out a motorbike rental company but ended up renting from a small booth in front of one of the restaurants as they gave us one of their newer bikes. They provided helmets but there was only one size and my husband ended up not wearing his as it was way too tight for him! El Nido is a small town with 2 main roads running parallel to the beach. You can easily walk end to end and check out all the rentals. If you end up riding north towards Nacpan beach and the waterfalls there is one main road out of town. After about 5-10 minutes you'll hit dirt/gravel road with lots of pot holes and hardly any vehicle traffic. It's pretty rough riding and forget about signage or asking anyone for directions. You'll get an answer but only the one they think you want to hear! We only rented the bike for 1 day and we were supposed to fill it up when we returned it. The funny thing is the only gas station in town ran out of fuel!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Tao Expedition

Great read feistM. Thanks for the great info. Funny thing is we have been tossing up weather to get an underwater camera for the trip, think I might just pick one up:-)

Cheers

A

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Tao Expedition

if you can have this for your daily bag..

…bigcommerce.com/server800/7efdf/products/40…

my wife found it helpful whenever she fell on the water from, say, kayak

also, a portable solar charger will be handy if available

9. Re: Private Tao Expedition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 14, 2014