We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone has spent New Year's in El Nido. I'm planning a surprise trip for my wife and was wondering what it would be like. From the pictures I've seen, El Nido and Palawan look beautiful. Also, any recommendations regarding where to snorkel in El Nido?

Thank you!

Hongkong
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

Hi, my name is Rebecca, a native of El Nido who is presently working and living in HK. Although El Nido is beautiful by nature, there is nothing special there on christmas/New year's Eve except maybe if you book yourself at any of the resorts where they make a little decoration to show New year Is approaching, or if you go there without expecting New year in El Nido is an extra ordinary day, then I'm sure you and your your wife would enjoy your holidays.

Re: Snorkel. If you book yourself to any of the resorts, they will take you to the best snorkelling sites. If you go on back pack, there are small shops where you can hire a motor boat with tourguide who will take you to the snorkelling sites. One thing for sure, people of Elnido are mostly friendly and the town is crime free.

If you want to know more, don't hesitate to ask me. I am from Elnido and knew very well how it is down there.

palawan
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

Palawan is a paradise! your wife will be very hapy if you do that surprise. there is a small town of elnido that has small fireworks. but that is not elnido, if you spend time during cmas and new year there your holiday will surely a different one. if you see the wonder of natures in the sea and above the sea truly a satisfaction.

there is a scheduled island hopping in every hotel and it can take you to the diving sites.

joven

http://palawanlands.multiply.com

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

Hi Elnidomermaid,

a couple of questions.

1) What's the weather like during Xmas and New Years usually?

2) Anything to do in the evening (bars, discos, etc)

tks,

Mick

philippines
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

HI, Deejay...

Am actually in El Nido right now. Staying here for 6 days. (I come here a couple of times a year for work). I hope you (and elnidomermaid... ) don't mind me answering your query while waiting for Elnidomermaid's input... [hi to you by the way, rebecca! :)]

Anyway, El Nido is a very sleepy town. Nothing compared to Boracay in terms of night life and partying. But what El Nido lacks in night life, it makes up for in sheer natural beauty and ecological diversity, as well as possibility of adventure. Besides, people who come here actually appreciate the quietness and smallness of this town. You can probably walk around the main "poblacion" or town center in 15 minutes --- it's really that small.

There are a couple of bars where tourists can hang out in after hours, such as Shipwrecked and Blue Karrot (Blue Karrot is by the beach too). But there's this really cool one which just opened early this year, called Balay Tubay. It's not on the beach, but its where most people like to hang out now mostly because of the very "ethnic" or homegrown feel of the place and the live music. A local group plays every night: mostly rock standards (plenty of Sting and U2, Dire Straits-type of music), reggae, and some Pinoy folk and rock music as well. Its pretty cool.

Hope this helps!

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

IONAKS, nice of you to reply and sounds like you're having a great time.

- how about the weather?

Cheers,

D.J.

philippines
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

oh yeah... it has still, suprisingly, been pretty rainy these past few weeks. these past two days its been raining in the morning and then the sun comes out around noon...

you can also email me directly at ionaks@yahoo.com, if you have urgent questions. (i might not be able to sign in to tripadvisor for the next couple of weeks.)

:)

canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling sites and New Year's in El Nido

hi Elnidomermaid i a'm a native Pilipino naturalize Canadian, i a'm going home on April 2006 to buy property in Palawan any advise will be very appreciated. 2 hours drive not a problem from the city proper but it should be ocean view i did some research and advice from my friends but the response are very discouraging. thank you