We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

bury,uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

2 retired couples hoping to be in Palawan for 2 months,Nov/Dec.2007. Any info. on apartments/house in a good area close to good beach, amenities. We like lazing, swimming, walkingfishing, good local food and booze, local culture, meeting people and making friends. Is car hire OK ,(and reccommended). ?? I have driven many times in India.!! How does Philipine driving compare ?

Our longtime ,longstay destination has been spoiled so we are looking for somewhere for this and future years. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks, Peter Walker, UK.

Palawan
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

Hi.

Palawan is a large, very rural undeveloped island some 400+ kms long, do you have any preferred areas ?

The capital, Puerto Princessa is roughly in the middle of the island. Most consider the Northwest side of the island to be the preferential tourist area, with better beaches, friendlier people and lots of pristine jungle

It would not be hard to find a house to rent for two months in Puerto Princessa, BUT the area around town is more or less devoid of decent beaches.

Best villages for beaches and Islands would be El Nido and Port Barton. El Nido is very popular with tourists but the season does not really start until after Christmas, so I'm sure you could find long-term accommodation fairly easily, email <info@elnidotourism.com> for ideas. El Nido has a few more shops ( but don't get excited ) but the town beach is very disappointing. you need to take a boat to the islands for good beaches and swimming.

Port Barton in smaller, far more laid-back, cheaper and certainly friendlier. www.portbarton.info is the village web site. Excellent beach, jungle walks, swimming, islands and fishing, but few other amenities.

It is possible to rent a self Drive 4WD vehicle in Puerto, but rates are very expensive, it's actually cheaper to rent a car with driver if you need one, BUT there "ain't too many roads" so you won't be doing too much driving. if you do, driving is easy, outside Puerto there is very little traffic, but driving after dark is not recommended, too many carabao or water buffalo strolling around !!.

Important point. Palawan is very rural, mostly jungle, electricity is not 24 hours, and cellphone coverage is only around the villages.

Also November and early December can be quite wet, but at least the rain is warm !!

My advice, definitely visit, but allow some time to travel and explore before deciding on your area for long-term rental. as a marker Basic but clean accommodation is around GBP5 per night for a couple, and an evening meal £ 2 per head in many of the smaller resorts, El Nido being about 50% more.

bury,uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

Hi Sansai,

Many thanks for your very qick reply. The info.is brilliant. Just the sort of thing we need.

When you say the weather in Nov/Dec. can be wet ,just how wet do you mean? Every day, all day, short showers, ??

Port Barton sounds best but how small is a 'small village'. ?

Do you have any experience of other places in your country which might be good or better.for us.?

I will go to the websites you gave but 1st.hand and personal is usually better.

Hope you don't mind these extra questions.

If you have ideas for places you would like to travel to please feel free to ask me. Been to quite a few places. Especially India.

Many stays there . Just back from Nepal. Awesome,Especially if you have good walking legs.

Once again ,many thanks. Hope to hear from you again, Regards , Peter & Mavis Walker.

Palawan
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

Hi again.

The weather in Palawan in November and December can be unpredictable. You could go for a whole week without rain, or if a large typhoon passes up the eastern side of the Philippines then you could have two or three days almost continuous heavy rain, but mostly you could expect 2 or 3 hours rain every two or three days during those months.

Port Barton probably has a population of around 2000 persons.I guess it's where you mark the boundary between the neighbouring hamlets.

BUt it is very rural, 26K from the National Highway, and only sports 2 shops that you could really call shops, and they only really sell the basic necessities that the locals need, not too many luxuries. There are of course a handful of smaller stalls selling vegetables and other items.

I'm from the UK also, but spend my winters in Palawan. I haven't visited all of the Philippines, but I have been quite a few places. For me Palawan is the best, clean, unpolluted friendly people and gorgeous empty beaches, and huge jungles.

For me every trip is an adventure, but I enjoy a simple but comfortable lifestyle.

bury,uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

Hello Sansai,

Thanks again for your excellent info. Looks as tho'Port Barton is a bit too rural for us wrinklies.!

So it's back to the drawing board for long-stay place. If you can think of any where around the Philippines which might suit us we would be very interested.

You have been so helpful already that I don't really like to impose on you. But we are short of ideas.

If we meet up sometime I will buy you a beer.

Best regards, Peter.

Frankfurt
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

To Sansai:

It's not correct and up to date if you say that self drive carrental is very expensive in Puerto Princesa.

In real it give the AIRPORT RENT-A-CAR what have the cheapest prices for rent a car or van in Palawan. Rent with driver is more than 800 Peso per day more expensive. It's a good alternate to drive self in Palawan...

6. Re: longstay accomm. on Palawan Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 24, 2009