We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank atm

glasgow
Level Contributor
79 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bank atm

Urgent reply please.

In PG at the moment. Looking for advice on which atm will accept TSB, bank of Scotland or Halifax debit cards. Have tried several but no luck. My bank have been informed we're abroad. The atm says zero funds are available but there is money in the account. I have also checked with my bank who say there is no block on my accounts for international use. This money is required to pay for a boat trip tomorrow and scuba diving course on Sunday so if anyone knows of a company in white beach that will take payment by credit/debit card could you let me know. Thank you.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank atm

what is the logo on your card and on the machine? They must match, but even with that said being a holiday with little bank action the machines may be empty. Be careful with your card that you do not attempt it too much or the machine will eat your card. You will have a huge hassle to get it back once that happens.

glasgow
Level Contributor
79 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank atm

Hello. Thank you for your response. The card doesn't have any logo except the visa debit one. We're not near an atm at the moment so can't check that. Also tried to use the atm in manila before we came over and it wouldn't work there either.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank atm

I reckon the machines are empty too.

There's a regular member on here called Sampanguita who knows the area very well but whether he comes on the forum today is another matter.

For the diving course, it might be best to head to Sabang and ask around there at some of the dive hotels or do a google search and contact them by phone.

Do you have money in another currency btw?

Mentioned in this post
Sabang
Sabang
422 Reviews
Mindoro, Philippines
glasgow
Level Contributor
79 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank atm

Thank you. When we went this morning locals were getting money out so the machines defo had cash. Going to try heading out tomorrow with the other two bank cards and see if they work.

glasgow
Level Contributor
79 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank atm

Sorry should have added we do have sterling on us, not seem many places advertising sterling exchange though.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank atm

In that case, it does sound like that this card has been blocked. A friend of mine had the same trouble even though he told the bank he was going away.

The main card I use now is a Caxton Visa currency card. Cheaper too for obtaining money abroad.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank atm

There are money changers in PG although I haven't used one myself so I don't know where they are. I'm sure one of the other members will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank atm

not all cars work in all machines, but may not be blocked. Again, dont hit the same card too many times.

Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bank atm

Hi - Just want to add my recent experience...

I was able to withdraw 10k peso at Manila airport T3 on UK VISA debit card (Lloyds) and 10k the next day at an ATM close to City State Hotel. All without problem. We then travelled to PG/Sabang and after a few days I wanted to get some more cash out.....

1. In Sabang there is an ATM inside a bank at the top of the main road. My card was accepted, but it would only offer me to withdraw 5k peso, but then didn't give me any cash :-(

2. I took a motortrike to PG where there are 3 ATM's. 1 ATM (western Union) would not even accept my card - I think I read somewhere that some of the ATM's do not take Chip'n'Pin cards. The other 2 ATM's took my card but would not give me any cash - error message was "line down" which I presume means that the connection to Lloyds was unavailable.

3. I was pretty sure my card was *not* blocked but I didn't check with my bank about this. A few days later back in Manila I could withdraw 10k peso without any issue.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Sabang
Sabang
422 Reviews
Mindoro, Philippines
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bank atm

My advice do not withdraw at the airport or anywhere else where you will be leaving soon, unless you have no choice as your card could get eaten with a power fluctuation or a host of other reasons and whatever you do DO NOT enter your password more than twice if it dont work

Machines in PG are often out of cash and allowing you to take 5k is there cheap a@@ way to make more money from you with fees.