We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

Hello there;

Travelling from the UK in Mid June and my uncle from Singpore tells me this is a good stop. Our budget is around the £50 GBP per day for hotels. I seem to be aimlessly looking at hotels with little luck so thought i would post... Can we get a decent hotel for that price with a pool and nice beach to swim?

Also - is eating out and drinks affordable/expensive? How much for a beer and a decent meal?

I do kind of like the idea of the 'agents' as you call them showing us round so we can choose a place when we get there but i would be scared there would be no rooms left on arrival!!!????

Any pointers would be great as i am reading about Small and Big La Laguna too and cant seem to find those on here!?

Thanks

Phil

12 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

June is just after summer and as well as being low season for Filipinos ( summer holidays are April and May) it is also low for europeans and australians and other asian countries so you will have no problem finding a place.

If you go on google maps you can see Sabang where the ferries from Batangas dock with a pathway westward round the coast to Small then Big la Laguna, its a short walk and you only need your cold weather clothes for the UK plus lightweight t shirts /shorts/skirts if appropriate and if you find walking in the heat gets too much you can stop every 40 metres for a beer ! You could get an outrigger to big La Laguna from the Pier for 50/300 pesos but be prepared to wade up to your ankles when you disembark.

£50/3000 pesos will get you somewhere nice

On Small la Laguna there is Lalaguna villas Blue Ribbon Dive resort I have lo seen Scandi divers on Big LL offering rooms within your price range.

There are plenty of good places to eat meals can cost 100/ 300 /500 pesos or more and beers are about 60 pesos

Edited: 11:43 am, April 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

Going in early June too. Wouldn't say a good spot unless you area diver. If you are a diver I would say excellent spot. For the non diver traveler - better spots to relax. Tends to attract lots of Asian divers.

As said above you will have no trouble getting accom due to low season - I would book 2/3 days settle in and then shop around - Mermaid is good but not on road side.

Food is very very good, surprising in a small place like this how good it is. Eng Bfast 300, most pub type meals + one beer 500 peso- Try Big apple.- Usually show footy on Big screen too.

Best beach Big LaLaguana - 15 min walk from main village - small sandy beach, snorkeling reef close to shore. You can get acomm on Big L if you wish.

Remember Sabang is more like a village than a small town so don't expect too much.

If you don't SCUBA can be a little boring.............

3. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 09, 2017

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

Usually in the Philippines, if a hotel is on a nice beach, it won't have a swimming pool.

I wouldn't have suggested Puerto Galera as first choice for your requirements. Boracay, Alona Beach in Bohol and Malapascua Island to name a few, would have preceded it.

If you do decide on PG, I would recommend staying at either Aninuan or Talipanan and not Sabang. The beach here is poor (if you can call it a beach).

Tribal Hills Resort in Aninuan is a nice hotel with a swimming pool but it's not located on the beach

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,748 posts
2,224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

I agree with Dubson that PG wouldn't rank high in my suggestions either.

To add to Boracay, Alona Beach in Bohol and Malapascua Island I would also suggest Siquijor Island as an option.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

1) Yes - you can get a decent hotel for that price with a pool and nice beach to swim? Just need to search around a bit - either on internet, facebook or when you reach that place. LOTS of hotels in Phils have pools (even small ones!) - and there is almost always a public beach closeby to swim in (do note - most beaches do not have lifeguards so ask the hotel owner if it is ok to swim)

2) Eating out is usually cheap, I usually spend 250 pesos per head at Maxs which is a good restaurant, if we eat at a fast food joint it costs us 100 pesos per head, and if we eat at a roadside eatery (carinderia), it usually costs us 50 pesos per head.

Drinks - usually cost 100-150 pesos at bars and restaurants, but a good idea is just buying them at a convenience store and keeping them in your hotel fridge if budget is an issue. Most public beaches allow you to bring your drinks. No restaurant will allow you do bring your drinks, naturally.

3) You do not need any agents - most of us on TA tend to do DIY trips.... we plan our hotels, etc. However, sometimes when you reach a destination, the "agent" can have a hotel at a reduced rate (for example: in Boracay and PG Sabang). If you do use an agent, always bargain.

At most places, there are always a few hotels with rooms available so that really should not be an issue. Phils tourist spots have LOADS of hotels / resorts

5) Small and Big laguna - I think you are referrign to the ones near Puerto Gallera Sabang. They are 10 minute walk from Sabang main area / jetty - Just book a day at Sabang (a place like captn gregs) and walk over to La laguna and ask them if they have rooms - At least one of those hotels / resorts will have rooms available. It is a nice part of PG with a nice beach and clear waters.

Save Reply
7. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

yes Aminuan beach and Talipanan beach are nice, less busy.. /Most people stay at White Beach, though crowded on weekends and holidays. but has nice souvenirs, night life, walking on sand, massage by beach at nite, fire dancers, bars, restos.. /Try casa mia small Inn, small pool, there for two nites..? Less busy, left side.. sandy shore of White Beach. /Facing the ocean from White Beach, you can walk 10mins to leftmost side to Aminuan and Talipanan beach (walk across through rocks, or take Tricycle). maybe stay there MORE NITES at "Sunset at Aminuan Resort," then maybe "Tamaraw beach resort".. (?) /Choose where you can relax, and enjoy, beach, pool, food, and relaxing atmosphere.. /At nite (high tide), Need take Tricycle to cross between (White Beach & Aminuan) p100 pesos/one way. /Yes not PEAK Season, June, so can stay 2 to 3 nites, at Resort, INN, /then transfer, til you find better/best place for you. :-) /Just came back from 5days there PGalera, Family had great fun! :) /Returning this Oct.! :-)

La Laguna resorts (OPTIONAL for you) --for your first Two Nites stay..

(near Sabang, which is not really nice Beach, more known more for Bars, restos..)

from Batangas ferry, choose to arrive at more scenic Muelle Pier ---which we did!

then you can head to Sabang, LaLaguna.... /or take p100 pesos Trike to White Beach (we did!) or Aminuan beach. /If you booked two nites stay at Aminuan or White Beach, they might have Free VAN Transport for you.. from PIER, to their resort.. Enjoy! :-)

Save Reply
8. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

Or you can stay at Tribal Hills Mountain Resort for first TWO NITES, then choose to transfer to: Sunset at Aminuan or Tamaraw Beach Resort ...which you can check ONSITE... as they are located BEACH FRONT.... /kayaking, swimming, snorkeling by day.... massage at shore by night..... Nice sound of waves... :-)

/** DIVERS of course, have other TIPS choices.. /My family/small Kids.. just basic swim, snorkelling, and SUPER Amazing -massage on sandy shore at NITE :)

Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

Palawan,Puerto Princesca,or El Nido ,is Certainly not to be forgotten,as some of Philippines,best Destination's.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,748 posts
2,224 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break

The OP visited in June so long gone now!

Reply to: UK visitors here - looking for a 2 week break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted