We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
170 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Hi guys,

I have a specific question. I'll get the JAM bus from Buendia Station to Batangas pier (unless someone can suggest a better bus company or with more frequent departures) at about 12-1pm. From checking the info here and their websites, it seems that FSL has their last banca to Sabang at 2:30 pm (can't make it) and Minolo doesn't even go to Sabang, their last trip to Muelle is at 3:30 pm or at 4:10 pm (peak season).

Any suggestions? When is the last roro ferry to Sabang? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Batangas Province
Batangas Province
Luzon, Philippines
Sabang
Sabang
422 Reviews
Mindoro, Philippines
13 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

lady realine leaves around 4.30 pm - If stuck there is a banka to white beach at 5

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
170 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Thanks Sampag.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
265 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Plan 4pm as the last boat to be safe.

4. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, January 19, 2017

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
170 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Folks, I came back to Manila yesterday. Not sure if in the threads here is this possibility: plan on being stuck in Puerto Galera a couple of days, depending on the weather. Don't schedule an important business meeting or a flight out of MNL just one day after your PG holiday, leave a window of 2-3 days at least.

I was planning on leaving PG back to Batangas yesterday Thursday. On Wednesday I checked at the Sabang pier, all late morning and afternoon bangkas were cancelled. Low depression/windy was the reason. I got curious and called 3 ferry companies doing the Calapan-Batangas route: their afternoon trips were cancelled also. On Thursday morning at 8:30 am I was informed at the Sabang pier all bangkas scheduled for Batangas were cancelled, same reason. I called the ferry companies in Calapan, "all trips cancelled till further notice, come to Calapan and wait". All along, I was checking the weather online, yes a little windy (15 mph) in both PG and Batangas but very nice and sunny otherwise.

At that point the touts at the pier are asking 800-1500 pesos to take you to Calapan, but I'm thinking if I'm gonna be stuck some place, I'd rather be stuck in PG that in the Calapan terminal.

I went to the nearby restaurant to have my breakfast and waited. It turns out that was the best move. While there, I met 4 other people who had to get back to Manila yesterday. At that point there were basically no options of getting out of Mindoro island (the seaplane had left at 7 am @ 5K pesos). One of the touts at the pier saw me at the restaurant and came over, "boss, you want a private banca? 10K", me: "I want to see the banca first, the captain and 4,000". I negotiated it to P5,000 , P1000 per person.

The banca was at Dalaruan (near Coco Beach), needless to say this could not be in full view at the Sabang pier. We went by motor bikes there. What followed was almost like a movie. I have to stress here, I don't recommend this to females traveling alone (we were 4 guys and a girl) and that the whole trip had inherent risks at multiple stages. At Dalaruan there were only Filipinos there and us the 5 foreigners. A scam could have easily taken place there. Hand the money, the banca is broken, the captain is missing etc. I insist to pay the captain after we board and in Batangas. The captain says he has to pay off the coast guard also, so we hand the 5K and off we go. Btw, the banca is big, same size as the FSL one and looks like in better shape.

About 3-4 miles out the waves start. The banca is seriously struggling. A few times the captain has to stop the engine, wait, start again. We see the Batangas coast and the white tower and all of us are probably thinking/praying "let's just make it to the coast, any point in Luzon".

We arrived near that refinery on the Batangas-Lobo rd about 15 km south from Batangas city (again, this was an illegal trip, he could not go to Batangas pier). On to a jeepney and then to trikes to Batangas pier. At the pier long lines of people waiting for ferries to Mindoro. We go to the buses waiting to go back to MNL, almost empty of course (no one was coming from Mindoro). Got on a very nice CERES bus for P180 (which I recommend over JAM) and made it back to Makati by 6 pm, after 5 different modes of transport. I'm thinking if we had gone to Calapan, we'd still be there probably.

Sorry for the lengthy message, but I thought I'd share the story. Moderators please move to a new thread if appropriate.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Galera
Puerto Galera
Mindoro, Philippines
Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
Luzon, Philippines
Batangas Province
Batangas Province
Luzon, Philippines
Sabang
Sabang
422 Reviews
Mindoro, Philippines
Mindoro
Mindoro
Philippines
Luzon
Luzon
Philippines
Batangas City
Batangas City
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,378 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

@ Elias

Thanks for the excellent feedback. this is most important, as many of us (even when we advice) forget that ferries are often cancelled - and the 2nd last ferry sometime simply becomes the last ferry!

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Ferries are now running and you were lucky as early in December when there was a gale the private banka owners who were willing to risk their and your lives were demanding 18000 pesos for the boat which is three times to going rate. You were lucky, when Typhoon Nina came there were no ferries for 3 days and people travelling by bus from the provinces to Manila found themselves stranded 6 kms from the centre of Calapan over Christmas.

If you are anywhere where you need to catch a ferry check up on the weather with Pagasa and Typhoon2000 or if in a scuba diving resort ask one of the divemasters as they should have their ear close to the ground and looking forward to a day drinking instead of diving.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
170 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Yes Sampag and Yloo, we got very lucky. We made it back unscathed, in a total of about 6 hours and only set back an extra P1000 pp or so.

I guess I wanted to point out a few things to people searching the threads:

a) The banca schedule is one thing, the actual trip is another. You CANNOT go by the weather that you see and read, be it in Batangas or PG. There can be winds off Isla Verde plus undercurrents. I'm positive all the people in Batangas waiting at the pier were wondering "but WHY are the bancas and ferries cancelled?"

b) There are ways to get across the strait if you know how to negotiate (hint: nicely) and you take all the risks into consideration. This is not for the faint of heart. When we got off near the refinery and walked to the road waiting for a jeepney, the locals were looking at us like "what are these foreigners doing here"? We must have looked like refugee "boat people".

Mentioned in this post
Batangas Province
Batangas Province
Luzon, Philippines
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

Reading the above thread makes me partially nervous.

Am going to PG in early June - Is it just luck of the draw with weather and getting back to batangas?

If I start checking 2/3 days out from my intended return is this the best option.

Surely the RORO are a more reliable option?

Any assistance / advice appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?

I know this is an older post but I have the same question and I don't think it was properly answered yet. I searched for 'lady realine' and didnt find anything. I may or may not be able to make the 2:30 ferry to Sabang. I see some others going to Muelle pier. If I go there how do I get to Sabang (I am carrying alot of dive gear)?

What are the names of other ferry boats?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sabang
Sabang
422 Reviews
Mindoro, Philippines
Reply to: Last bangka or ferry Batangas to Sabang beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted