We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davao or Gen San? Which one?

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Davao or Gen San? Which one?

Hi,

Which one would you recommend? General Santos or Davao? Why?

I have always wanted to visit a different part of the Phils - Mindanao. Now I have an opportunity, but am torn between having to choose either Davao or General Santos. Which one would you recommend? Why?

Our aim is -

1) Snorkelling

2) Diving

3) Enjoy nature (wish to stay at a place which either has forests / foliage / nature or a beautiful beach.

4) (Most important) - to relax.

Thanks a lot

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

why not both, connected by bus for less than 3 hours. The bus ride in itself is interesting.

Davao has many places to visit and its a nice place, but snorkeling and diving are not top on the list. You can go to Samal Island, which is okay. Eden, Croc. farm, and Eagle sanctuary to name a few.

Eden can take up much time and is nice in terms of nature.

Gen San also has beaches and they are okay, but after Boracay, you may be starving for it.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

I vote for Davao-Samal. We were busy visiting around Davao for 4 days which is not enough as there are pretty much more to do there than GenSan.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

Thanks for the tip lefto, I will be watching the road trip from Davao to Gensan. I will be travelling Sep01 in the morning

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

nice views, crazy corners, buses travel too fast, military check points, etc. etc. all for a fun ride. The folks along the way do NOT see many foreign tourists for sure.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

Thanks a lot everyone for your timely advice.

@left over too -

As usual, we will be travelling during the weekend, leaving on saturday and returning on sunday. (I am again based in Manila now). Hence will HAVE to make the difficult choice of one place.

btw, about the beaches "...but after Boracay, you may be starving for it.".... what are you hinting at?! I was under the impression that the beaches in Samal are beautiful and snorkellign fantastic - no ?

@ Kegler -

exactly - we too were thinking of spending all our time in Samal island - any tips of places to stay / things to do, keeping in mind our limited time?

@ everyone -

Most probably will be travelling in a very small group with office friends. Could you please suggest very few places to see / things to do? We will have exactly 24 hours.

I certainly DO want to snorkel / dive ... even if it is for just an hour or 2.... unless the marine life all over is bad. (No hundred islands or PG type of corals here?)

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

have you already been to cdo/camiguin?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
1,992 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

The Isla Jardin resort at Glan (55km from General Santos: P80 by van one way, P2500 approx. return by taxi) is one that I recently visited and reviewed on TA.

I was only there for lunch but my brief foray at low tide indicated coral almost up to the shoreline and a wonderfully beautiful beach.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

@ Claire -

No - haven't been there (heard so much about it, though). Can I do it as a weekend getaway from Manila?

My plan was to keep Southern Phils for this monsoon season, and to visit places in Visayas / Luzon after Nov.

@ Victorian lad -

Sounds promising. I notice many good beach side places in Glan and am just checking Cebu Pacific for flights to Gensan. Plus "sarangani" has a rather mystical sound to it! Is the coral alive or dead? If these places are so good, I just might make 2 separate trips - one to Davao and another to Gensan!

Edited: 5:20 am, August 31, 2012
clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

…blogspot.ie/2012/08/top-10-things-to-do-in-… what time would u leave/return from manila?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Davao or Gen San? Which one?

You can try resort hopping in Samal as you can enter each one and enjoy its various facilities for a fee. You can can also visit waterfalls, caves and do some trekking in Samal. If you love biking then you will be reminded of Pulau Ubin in Singapore.

Edited: 5:26 am, August 31, 2012