We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

I'm long overdue in writing this review, but I'm about to go back and revisit this place, so I want to get this done in advance of that visit.

The Banaue rice terraces are really much more one might think. Indeed, there are rice terraces in the town of Banaue, but there are literally countless numbers of terrace constructs flung throughout the Ifugao province, all worthy of the trek to get to them, many more spectacular than those found in Banaue town.

The rice terraces found in Banaue proper are the most widely represented in photographs, illustrations, banknotes, and many other things that call attention to the area. And while truly stunning in themselves, if you have a chance to stay in Banaue for any number of days, take some of the hikes available through the Tourism Center.

You will encounter sites of such epic proportion that you will be overtaken with the same mystical/spiritual/awe-inspiring feelings akin to visiting places like Machu Picchu, the Great Pyramids, or the ancient Cambodian temples; prepare thyself for a metaphysical smack-down.

A number of the rice terraces throughout the region are designated as UNESCO world heritage sites, dating back to more than 2000 years. Hence, it goes without saying that these magnificent stair-stepped rice paddies are truly one of the most important historical and cultural treasures of the Philippines.

To put it short, a trip to the Banaue area for at least 3 to 5 days should be on everyone's bucket list, whether you are Filipino or not.

Visitors can experience these breathtaking terraces by visiting various viewpoints in Banaue itself, as there is a cluster of them that traverses the very heart of town.

The nearby villages of Bangaan and Hapao are accessible by motor transport and offer stunning views.

Those seeking a more challenging excursion can choose from a number of day and multi-day hikes to the surrounding villages of Batad, Cambulo, and Pula.

The Ifugao Province is a world-class destination for avid trekkers from around the globe and Banaue is their "home base."

If you are one of these trekkers, or are just looking for a more rewarding and challenging experience, opt in for the three day Pula-Cambulo-Batad-Bangaan tour.

If you want to "go all out," talk to one of the Tourism Center guides about hikes to more far-flung villages or climbing Mt. Amuyao.

In my visit this past January, 2012, I was dismayed to find that in some areas the rice terraces had fallen into disrepair, having been abandoned.

There were a number of reasons for this.

In some cases it was due to the fact that the irrigation system in that area was damaged and the farmers simply did not have the resources to make repairs. Water is supplied to the terraces via springs higher up in the mountain, which are channeled through the terraces in a complex series of irrigation canals.

In other cases, there wasn't enough income through harvesting rice alone and the farmers took up carving or other crafts.

To add a final nail in the coffin, younger generations simply have/had no interest in carrying on the legacy, or they simply needed to move on to better opportunities.

I came to the saddening conclusion that these magnificent structures had entered into a serious state of decline, with perhaps 10 to 15 years left before they would be completely abandoned and quickly overgrown, becoming ambiguous and undetectable amidst the sprawling rainforest.

Thankfully, there is and has been very concerted efforts, from numerous fronts, to come up with ways to make sure that the rice terraces are preserved for the posterity of the nation.

As-a-matter-of-fact, the Ifugao Rice Terraces were on the UNESCO endangered list until June 2012, when they were removed with high marks given to the government and people for their restoration/preservation efforts.

The government has finally begun making significant investments in the region for repairs restoration.

The locals from surrounding villages have taken part in joining together in rebuilding.

There are also efforts to institute training for the villagers to offer homestays as a means of added income.

Another way is through the efforts of voluntourism, whereby tourists actually give of their time while visiting to help in the preservation effort. If you are of such a persuasion, please PM me and I will give more information on this.

During my two-week stay in the Ifugao province I took a number of excursions (I am a rather short, portly chap and I lost more than 20 pounds in that time.) They were:

Batad-Bangaan Hike (Full Day - Guided)

Banaue (Pfanawor) Terrace Hike (1/2 Day - Solo)

Cambulo Trek (Full Day - Guided)

Hapao (hot springs) Excursion (Half Day - Guided)

Banaue Ethnic Village Experience (2 Hours - Solo)

Pula-Cambulo-Batad-Bangaan Outing (Three Days - Guided)

Poblacion-Kinakin/Poblacion Rd. Walk (2 Hours - Solo)

Poblacion-Viewpoint-Poblacion Walk (2 Hours - Solo)

In addition to the longer treks, there are terrace clusters literally all around Banaue Town itself. You can take any number of 2-4 hour walking hikes that will take you by many stunning vistas.

Tips and suggestions:

I highly recommend staying at the Banaue Halfway Lodge. It is run by good, honest folk and is conveniently and centrally located. (www.banauehalfwaylodge.com)

If you are going to utilize a guide, please avail the services of certified guides who operate out of the Tourism Center. These guides have undergone extensive training in areas of trail navigation, CPR, emergency rescue, and many other topics pertinent to your safety and enjoyment whilst on your excursion.. If someone approaches you on the street offering guide services, please be cautious. This is not to say that they are of bad character. They are not, however, certified and trained. I hired one Mariano Pagada out of the Tourism Center for all of my treks and I could not have been more satisfied. He proved himself over our many hikes and provided a level of professionalism that I am CERTAIN I would not have found in a street-hired guide.

In addition to seeing the rice terraces, Banaue is home to many fine craftsmen. The town is literally brimming with artisans producing woodcarvings, native textiles, metal art, knives, and woven straw items.

For a rewarding and well-implemented culural experience, be sure not to miss the Banaue Ethnic Village. This is a very interesting attraction that features a painstakingly recreated Ifugao village, with structures that offer a "living history" of Ifugao architecture. Inquire at the Banaue Halfway Lodge about optional group lectures and ritual reenactments.

Walking poles or sticks are highly recommended for your hikes.

Make sure that you have good hiking boots/shoes, as you will be literally hiking in the rain forest.

With the exception of the Banaue Hotel, all other lodging options do not have in-room electrical outlets. If you need to charge your electronics, most places will accommodate you for a small fee. Before you get your feathers in an uproar over this, a night in the Banaue Hotel starts at 3000+ pesos, whilst a stay in any of the other lodging choices begins around 400 pesos.

Saturday is market day in Banaue, and vendors come from neighboring villages and sitios, selling everything from fruits and vegetables to DVDs and flashlights. It takes up a large portion of Barangay Poblacion, which is the center of Banaue. Shop early to find uncommon items.

As the saying goes: "buyer beware." If someone is trying to sell you an item they swear is "antique", such as a carved statue or old wooden ritual box, or anything else for that matter, do not fall for their very convincing pitch or authentic appearance of the items...THEY ARE MOST SURELY FAKE. There simply are no more old antique items left to be sold. If you want to know more details just message me here on tripadvisor.

If visiting during the rainy season be sure that you take a raincoat and be prepared to get soaked during your hikes. To me it wasn't that big of a deal and I'm doing it again, but there may be those who are unable to tolerate the wetness.

Make sure that you are stocked up on trail food and water for your hike.

Inevitably, in the remote villages to which you will be trekking, children will approach you asking for money. It's better if you take along some snacks or treats to give them.

Have fun!

Edited: 1:38 am, November 28, 2012
San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Let us know how it went!

By now, you should be having a great time!!

San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

@Victorianlad, I have successfully submitted to Trip Advisor the Ifugao Villages of Mayoyao, Hungduan, Kiangan, Lagawe, Lamut, and the Mountain Province Village of Barlig.

Mayoyao and Hungduan already have some activity.

I will be back in Ifugao next month and will focus on getting these villages "fleshed out' with attractions, accommodations, dining, etc.

Then it's review time on my part.

Hopefully, this will really help get the region "on the map."

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

Manila
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

PM me your dates and maybe we can meet up there...

Quezon City...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

2 years ago I was planning to do this epic mtb bike loop Banaue-Bangaan-Mayoyao-Natonin-Aguinaldo-Barlig-Banaue. To my dismay no mtb bike rentals near Banaue town proper. At that time, I was determined to put up some mtb rentals in the area as I believe that this region (Cordillera) is the next big thing in Philippine sports & adventure tourism. Doing some feasibility study and email some local government offices about doing business in the area but to no avail. So plans did not push through. Lately I was longing to do that epic loop in Ifugao and come across this page. Do you know a place for mtb bike rental or website to check in Banaue town proper? Any info will be great.

San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

There is a tour company just steps from the tricycle plaza that rents biles. When i spoke with them last January, the rate was P300 for 8 hours. You'll have to talk to them about multiple days I was back in Banaue June/july and they are still in busines.

They are located on the right as you are walking from the plaza toward Banaue Central School, they will be on your right.

Janddy Tours

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Hi Oreoero,

Thanks for a great report!

I am planing my first trip to the Philippines and will arrive in Manila in November. The first thing on my list is to visit the Banaue area. It look and sounds amazing!

I am planning on taking the night bus to Banaue from Manila on the day of my arrival in the Philippines and then continue on to Batad junction by jeepney. I am thinking about hiking from the junction to Bangaan - Batad - Cambulo - Mt. Amuyao - Pula - Banaue as a 5 days/4 nights trip, however, do you know whether it is possible to find a guide for the trek in Batad with departure the next morning? And is it possible to trek Mt. Amuyao as a circuit-like hike from Cambulo to the summit and back to Pula to avoid trekking the same trail on both the ascent and descent?

All information will be much appreciated!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

You can definitely find a guide from the tourist office to bring you around but make sure the guide knows the route or area well.

I usually contact my guide when I am going to Banaue. You can search for her contacts here in TA. Her name is Irene.

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Thanks, Mousehunt.

I will try to find some contact details on recommended guides from Batad here on Tripadvisor.

29. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, November 26, 2013
Edited: 10:05 am, November 26, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Thank you for this!! I have been reading and reading about the Cordilerra - and just wondering how to approach it for our 5 days there. This is so helpful :)