We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,090 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

This event is once again being held in Pasay City, Metro Manila in a couple of weeks' time:

http://www.ptaatraveltourexpo.com.ph/

https://twitter.com/TravelTourExpo

Is it worth attending or do the hotel and airline (among others) participants simply repeat deals that are available on the Internet?

If worthwhile to go, is it pretty essential to get there earl (say before 1100) y to avoid the crowds (as last year a claimed 66,000 attended over three days - which is about 20,000a day - quite a lot).

Edited: 9:46 pm, February 02, 2013
Tao Expeditions
Sightseeing Tours
Yolo Travel Philippines
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Smokey Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Divers Community Club
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

I been there last year. I would not do it again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,090 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

Why - were the 'deals' poor value, sold out or were there simply too many attending so you had to push and shove?

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

No push and shove but yes, poor value. It seem that stalls wants to sell as much and as fast as it can.

Im sure other people will want to have a look and may find the deals advantageous but for people like me who scan the bargain alley, the Expo is a waste of time and 100 php entrance fee.

Sure, there is visual galore, collection of brochure, photo-taking and pretty attendants!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,653 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

If I will attend this year it would be my 5th time. From the previous years, I bought airline tickets, hotel stays and even 10 Enchanted Kingdom tickets for the price of 5 in that expo. Several stalls also sell local products and food like the Cabanatuan longanisa (sausage) and Camiguin cocoa tablea which are hard to find here in Metro Manila. I love collecting travel brochures and that's the best place where you can get them.

Olongapo...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

as an agent, i go only to discover new destination or get some posters and brochures to decorate my office but as a traveler, you can get the deals trough the internet or you local T.A.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,653 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

There are still many who want a service of a travel agent and this travel fair is a very good venue to go agent hopping as there are so many under 1 roof. What I like about this travel fair is that many agents are offering packages for the Holy Week which if you try to book directly with the airline you will get highly inflated prices.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,090 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

Did anyone go yesterday or today?

What were your impressions of prices on offer: could you get to the desks of stallholders such as 2go or Cebu Pacifc to make bookings even if you wanted to, or was it very crowded?

Edited: 10:59 pm, February 15, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,090 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

There is live streaming which is interesting:

http://www.ptaatraveltourexpo.com/index2.html

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,761 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

Thanks VL for sharing. If you cant attend the next best thing is to watch the live streaming.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,090 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Travel and Tour Expo worth attending?

El Nido Resorts is offering 40 per cent off for Apulit, Lagen and presumably Miniloc Resorts: P25,000 per person for three days and two nights including airfares (which I assume are ITI Express from Manila to El Nido and return). This is cheap. The marketing manager also mentioned Pangalusian Resort which is shortly to reopen under this company's management.

SEAir has P399 promo one way domestic fares although the presenter has not explained if these include taxes and charges. I suspect the latter are extra.

These are all available onto to attendees at this Travel and Tour expo, which closes tomorrow evening (Sunday 17 February 2013).

Edited: 2:07 am, February 16, 2013