We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

I'll be spending 4 weeks backpacking in the Philippines in November

(Coran / El Nido/ Boracay / Bohol and maybe MoalBoal , Siqujior, Dumaguate.

Looking for cheaper guest houses (ie 15-30USD a night max)

1) Do i need to book in advance this time of year? (Is there a lot in this price bracket??)

2) In SE Asia Hostelworld.com was my go to app for finding accomodation - but there is very little listed on hostelworld for these main areas. Is there a better site to use? How does everyone find somewhere to stay when backpacking here?

Cheers

8 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,743 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

trivago, agoda, booking.com-

november is fairly quiet so you can walk in but you can check out the prices on booking sites a few weeks before to see how much the place want as often the walk in rate will be what they think they can get from someone soaking and exhausted from the thunderstorm so at least you have an idea what they will accept.

Look for trends, places that offer promo rates but then raise them closer to the day and see how much they want for the same day.

Its low season now so there wont be much difference in November

What are you looking for ? I assume a private room and for that there are plenty around 700 with a fan and aircon closer to 1500 but it depends where you are going . Go on one of the sites mentioned and see what you can get.

Expect to pay more in hotspots like el nido and less in places like port barton

Cebu City...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

No idea about backpackers but here is some cheap accommodation I have stayed at

Hope homes is near Alona Beach on Panglao Island. Pay the piso equivalent of usd $15 per night to rent a motorbike and they throw in a room for free.

http://hopehomes-danao.com/en/home/

Th rooms in rear at Coral Cay resort on Siquijor cost the piso equivalent of about usd $21. The rear rooms used to have sea views when I first visited but are now blocked by other buildings. The whole resort is set on the white sand though.

http://coralcayresort.com/index.html

OK Pension House Dumaguete. I couldn't find a website or face book page. their cheapest rooms are the piso equivalent of about usd $15

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

In Siquijor , Bohol & Boracay , a lot of backpacker accomodations are listed on agoda.com & booking.com ...

Hostelworld is not the only accomodation option for the Philippines for budget accomodation...

Moon Fools Hostel @ Alona Beach ..

My Chinese pals stayed here & i visited them...

Really nice atmosphere..

Sisters Inn & Moalboal Backpacker Lodge are popular budget options in Moalboal..

Tori's Backpacker Paradise on Siquijor... along the Circumferential Road.

Just some suggestions...

Cheers

Phoenix
5 posts
4. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

It's a mistake to book in advance with a credit card. This way you are subject to arbitrary or overcharges.

For good tips on cheap accomodations in the R.P. google Dumaguete_NOBS which has no profit motive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,634 posts
2,287 reviews
5. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

<,It's a mistake to book in advance with a credit card. This way you are subject to arbitrary or overcharges.>>

Its nonsense like several of your other posts.

How do you pre book without a credit card? Most want a credit card guarantee and you can pay with whatever means you want when you arrive unless payment is requested upfront..

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
549 reviews
6. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

Many of the cheaper hostels do not have websites, and November it will not be so busy so i would risk finding something when you arrive at each place.

Here is a cheap place in El Nido

https:/…Bamboo_Billabong_Hostel_El_Nido

Coron cheap GH with tiny pool

http://www.coron.ph/

And if you are passing by Puerto Princesa look at Duchess, Sheebang and OMG guest houses

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

IMO it's definitely worth booking somewhere for your first night. After that you can play it by ear

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?

Awesome info peoples! Thanks for the tips :)

Reply to: Finding accomodation? Book in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted