We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

2 posts
Save Topic
Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

If you have nothing on you and are completely sober, but the drug dogs mark you, can you get punished?

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from $140.80*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from $65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

You won't be punched for smiling like pot but if a drug dog marks you, you'll be thoroughly searched, I'm sure.

NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

I have no issue with people smoking pot, but going to the airport smelling like it is just plain stupid.

You are inviting scrutiny, searches, questioning and potential delays or even deportation especially in a country like Japan does not have tolerance for narcotics.

Is this even a serious question?

Edited: 7:45 pm, September 11, 2016
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

If you've smoked enough to be reeking, you might inadvertently be carrying a small amount. Not worth the risk.

From the U.S. State Department website:

"While you are traveling in another country, you are subject to its laws even if you are a U.S. citizen. Foreign laws and legal systems can be vastly different from our own. If you violate Japanese law, even unknowingly, you may be arrested, imprisoned, or deported. If you are arrested in Japan, even for a minor offense, you may be held in detention without bail for several months or more during the investigation and legal proceedings. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs, including marijuana and synthetic drugs, are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and fines. Japanese authorities aggressively pursue drug smugglers with sophisticated detection equipment, "sniffing" dogs, and other methods. When entering Japan, you and your luggage will be screened at ports of entry. Incoming and outgoing mail, as well as international packages sent via DHL or FedEx, is also checked carefully. In most drug cases, suspects are detained and barred from receiving visitors or corresponding with anyone other than a lawyer or a U.S. consular officer until after the first hearing, which at times has not taken place for a year."

As we used to say in New Jersey, "Don't even try."

Edited: 8:09 pm, September 11, 2016
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

"Is this even a serious question?"

I immediately thought troll when I read this. Obviously other forum readers are more charitable than I am.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,680 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

Sounds like troll to me as well.

And if it's a real question, then I hope you smoke a bit less of the stuff so you gain a bit more common sense before flying. Famous people like Paul McCartney have been busted before.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

I think it is a legitimate question. There are some people who smoke marihuana all the time and I'm sure their belongings might retain enough smell for a sniffing dog to sniff them out. It actually happened to one my patients who uses pot for medical reasons. She, a 70 year old lady, was detained at NRT, questioned and searched very thoroughly. But luckily she had her medical marihuana license with her and was allowed entry. So if op has one, he should take it with him to Japan.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

Seems like some of you need to cut down on the ganja yourselves, being that paranoid about trolling. I'm not talking about reeking of weed. I'm talking about someone who used to smoke months ago and who brings clothes with enough smell in them for the dogs to detect, despite several washes.

Shibuyakko talked about a sweet old lady with a medical weed license who was allowed in even though the dogs detected weed smell on her. Is anyone certain what would happen to a scruffy young adult when the dogs react to the clothes in his bag?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,308 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

Nobody in this forum is certain as to what will happen to you.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

Perhaps get your clothes thoroughly and commercially dry cleaned in order to rid them of any lingering smells? Or buy new clothes?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smelling like weed at the airport in Japan

Personally, I think you're worrying too much over nothing, Harry. If you don't have anything on you and your clothes and bags are clean, you'll be just fine.

I'm in/out Japan a lot but have never seen a dog at customs in person yet so far. I see police K9s at train stations at times but never seen one at an airport.