We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Can anyone recommend some craft breweries or restaurants with good beer selections to check out in Tokyo? I also read that Yokohama has several microbreweries and I may be interested in stopping there on the way back from Kamakura. Thanks!

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from $140.70*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from $65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Craft beer isn't really a major thing in Japan where craft rice wine, wine, and good whiskey distilleries exist. However, it is so-so popular and craft beer I drink in Kamakura and Kawagoe aren't bad.

www.coedobrewery.com/jp/craftbeer1000labo/

kamakura-beer.co.jp/hpgen/HPB/entries/21.html

kamakura-beer.co.jp/hpgen/HPB/entries/19.html

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,277 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

timeout.com/tokyo/…tokyo-best-craft-beer-bars

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

HITACHINO BREWING LAB.

timeout.com/tokyo/…hitachino-brewing-lab

4. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:00 pm, May 10, 2016
Edited: 11:00 pm, May 10, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

This map will help you find craft beer places and similar. You can find reviews on the places indicated

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer…

PS-I have not been to any in Yokohama, but earlier this year I visited this near Kamata Station which would be on the way back to Tokyo. More of a lunch/restaurant as type place but they do have a bar section with a variety of craft beers on tap, and at least the day I was there the bartender was happy to discuss the various products in English.

…blogspot.jp/2015/10/squares-cafe.html

Tokyo has some great craft beer festivals, but obviously dependent on when you are visiting. Went to a fantastic one in May

http://beerbarsjapan.com/events.html

Edited: 11:04 pm, May 10, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Perfect! Thank you all! I think the map and blog you shared MapleG will be very helpful.

NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Try some beers from Shiga Kogen. The brewery is in Nagano pref. (Shiga Kogen) but you can find some of their beers in Tokyo. They do a great IPA.

Not really craft, but Kirin "Heartland" is a really good beer you can buy in bombers in a lot of places.

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Today, I remembered watching a re-broadcast of the television.

There seems to be popular because Yanaka Beer hall, location is good.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

Beer pub ishii also nearby.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

Edited: 7:13 am, May 18, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Thanks haro! I will add those to my list.

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Craft beer in/near Tokyo

Hello, I am a craft beer freak living in Yokohama.

What is your favorite styles of beer? Recommendations will vary depending on your taste! I have been to most beer places in Yokohama and I'm sure I can recommend some depending on your taste, type of bars you want to go, how many people you're going with etc.

The website MapleG recommended was quite awesome, it's pretty much up to date and covers almost all the craftbeer places in Tokyo and 80% of that in Yokohama. However I have some disagreement of some of the ratings of each bars due to difference of personal taste! (I am not saying the author was wrong, just I have different review on each pubs due to my personal taste on beer, especially the bars in Yokohama!)

As for the brewery, I also recommend Shiga-Kogen if you are a hop-head.

And Kyoto Brewing and AJB brewery known as Libushi also brew great session ale and sour ale. Shonan beer, North Island are another great brewery for American craft beer lovers.