We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area of Tokyo?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What area of Tokyo?

We are honeymooning in September. We are staying about 7 days in Tokyo and 3 days in Hakuba.

I am trying to work out where we will stay in Tokyo. We will most likely have a JR East (Nagano, Niigata area).

I'ts a fairly budget holiday with an accomodation budget of about AUD$150 per night, which I know is not much in Japan.

We are late 20's early 30's. I am thinking about Ueno because I have read it is a cheaper neighbourhood to stay in for accomodation, shopping and food. It's convenient for transport. It's easier to find your way around by foot. Are these things true? Is it just street food that is cheap or can you eat in cafes and restaurants for less?

On the 'con' side I have read that it is completely dead in regards to night life. Is this true? Whilst we don't want to go clubbing, line up for drinks or sit in a crowded bar where we can't hear each other I would still like a bit of atmosphere like a small bar with acoustic music or something along those lines.

We won't go out each night, but for the couple of occasions that we do I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to get on a train and find something to do. The trains stop at 11pm then there is more at 1am then none until 5am, is that right?

What train line do I want my accomodation to be near in Ueno? Where ever I stay I want to be very close to a train startion that can get us around Tokyo and beyond easily.

What other areas could be a match for us?

Tall buildings (or hills) for vantage points

Parks

A bit of shopping and a bit of window shopping

Sushi trains

Baseball

Sumo wrestling

Disney sea

Theme cafe or restaurant

Playing pool (billiards)

Animals/nature

Dislikes

Walking for hours on end

Loud nightclubs

Overpriced food and drink

Long lines

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,280 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area of Tokyo?

First, find a hotel within your budget. There isn't one area that will have everything on your list. Plan on taking trains for getting around the city. You can read about the different areas of Tokyo at www.japan-guide.com

Townsville...
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area of Tokyo?

I'll probably get an Airbnb apartment. They are everywhere so I'm happy to pick an area first and accomodation second. I'm happy to take the trains, just looking for suggestions on a good base. I have already looked at that website but finding it hard to make up my mind, which is why I'm asking for opinions on trip advisor.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
631 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area of Tokyo?

Please read about airbnb in Japan before you go any further - there has been a lot of discussion on several threads recently. Put airbnb into the search. From all we've read it is illegal and your stay may be unpleasantly cut short... please look further into this since I do not speak from experience as we would never stay in one of these accommodations.

We are in Ueno now and always stay here and have done so for the past 15 years or so. We find the area very convenient to train (JR and Keisei) and metro - transportation is easy. Since we locate here I can't tell you how it compares price wise to other areas, but there are plenty of good izakayas and other restaurants around - some expensive, some not. Walking around is easy and there are wonderful sites here and the area is not as hectic as others.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,057 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area of Tokyo?

Ueno is an excellent base for budget travelers. Everything--accommodations, restaurants and shops are cheaper in Ueno than many other areas such as Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza, etc. You'll find lots of restaurants and izakayas that are open until late. Ueno being dead at night is totally untrue.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area of Tokyo?

As said above, I don't think you'll find an area that fills all of your requirements, but it's easy to get around. I'm not sure what you mean by "The trains stop at 11pm then there is more at 1am then none until 5am". Trains continue until a bit past midnight (~00:30), but I have yet to come across a train line that stops services around 11 pm and then resumes them after midnight.

I think Ueno would be a pretty good choice according to your requirements and since you're on a budget. It's convenient since you'll have access to the Yamanote line and two metro lines. Also, north-bound Shinkansen lines stop there which is useful since you plan to have a JR East pass. Ueno doesn't have night clubs (that I know of), but it's not dead at night either. I have friends living near Ueno so I have gone there to meet up with them a number of times, and it's been easy to find different types of bars.

NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area of Tokyo?

I would reccomend Shibuya as the area to stay while in Tokyo. Plenty of things to see and do just walking around in that area plus the Yamanote line gets you access to everywhere and the NEX stops at Shibuya if you fly into Narita.

Stayed at an AirBnB place in Shibuya in Feb and had a great stay there. Ueno is a nice area but not as interesting,fun and nowhere near the energy as Shibuya. Regarding AirBnB in JP, I used 3 AirBnB locations in Japan and never had an issue and as long as you follow the rules of the person renting the place you shouldn't have any issues. Feel free to PM me for details on the place we used in Shibuya.

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What area of Tokyo?

In Taito Ward, an ordinance that prohibits Airbnb style rental, i.e. renting a room out to a tourist, has been effected from this month. I would pay close attention to the future ordinances established by the other local governments.

Edited: 8:50 pm, April 02, 2016
Coromandel, New...
Level Contributor
717 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area of Tokyo?

Shinjuku was my favourite and I use Airbnb or wimdu.com.au.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area of Tokyo?

What hotels do you guys suggest in Ueno? Thanks!

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: What area of Tokyo?

Hi. I been to Tokyo just twice so far..the first time i choose to stay in Ueno and I choose to stay at

Ueno Touganeya Hotel. I would gladly book there again, very nice staff. Recently I just changed my base to Nippori but I will for sure go back to Ueno !