We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Japan

Tours
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Japan

Hi there

In 2015, I would like to think about going to Japan. In my head I worked something out but looking at prices in, for example, Kyoto it seemed a little expensive.

Ideally, I'd arrive on a Tuesday and leave the following Friday, so around 10 days or so.

The basis of the trip would be the cherry blossom so I am thinking end of March/ early April.

Originally, I had planned to fly into Tokyo for 3 nights; Kyoto for 4 nights and Osaka for 3 nights. The Kyoto prices scuppered that.

Where else could you go on the southern part of Japan that is newbie to japan friendly? Is Tokyo really worth it? If I wanted to take in a little countryside like maybe a visit to the mountains is this doable in the time allocated?

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions!

Jools

Tours
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning a trip to Japan

Thanks EdT255060 for the comments. i'm lucky that my photos have thus far sold in 29 countries:)

The Japan Rail pass is something I'm aware of and was looking into. The only thing I don't know is who you actually get it from. I'm always very cautious with something like that and who is an official reseller.

The differences in the terrain are not necessarily an attraction. I go where I think that I will get a return from what I'll photograph. I look at things in a very different way to other people when planning a trip:)

Wanderlust_Taiwan, I'm aware that the timing of it all is very subjective and depends very much on Mother Nature. Unfortunately, I don't have the financial resources to have a flexible airline ticket. I will just have to go with the flow.

In fact, the cherry blossom is my reason for going but because of the photographic work that I do anything else that is there is of interest to me as it will be so different to what I have done.

Getting images of people; public transport; architecture etc will be high on my agenda. IF, the blossom is there then I will be extremely happy. If not it won't be a completely wasted journey.

Last night, I came to the conclusion that what I might do is:

1) Stay in Tokyo for 5 nights, and

2) Stay in Osaka for 5 nights

With each one, I'd spend three days getting what I could in Tokyo and in the case of Osaka, go up to Kyoto. Then do 4 day trips somewhere. And then is now the next problem:)

One of them I know which is the five lakes area for that famous temple overlooking Fuji. The rest, not sure on yet but I'd like to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

My other concern is just eating as I'm a vegetarian.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,448 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning a trip to Japan

Official purchase points for JR pass - http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en005.html

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning a trip to Japan

When you are in Osaka, look up kansai west rail pass. It covers the Osaka area and it's much cheaper than the jr rail pass as it covers smaller area. You don't have to pay in advance. Just need to register on the website and pick it up and pay at a rail station after you get there. But if you are only going to kyoto everyday. It won't save you money. Hyperdia is great in checking train cost in japan. http://www.hyperdia.com

https:/…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,886 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning a trip to Japan

It's not easy to get the Kansai Area Pass to pay off. You have to build a specific itinerary and calculate fares in advance. Usually, the only time it's worthwhile is if you need to go to KIX airport from Kyoto, and you didn't get the ICOCA & Haruka roundtrip package.

The Kansai Area Pass Wide version offers great value if you will be traveling further in the region as it covers destinations such as Shirahama, Kinosaki, and even Shinkansen to Okayama.

Edited: 10:20 pm, July 27, 2014
15. Re: Planning a trip to Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2015