We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

international driving permit in Japan

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
international driving permit in Japan

Hi guys, new here.

I'm planning to travel to japan on June for the summer there, planning to rent a car and drive there.

Is anybody has any experience using international driving permit in Japan?

By the way, I'm going to use International Driving Permit issue by Indonesian Police. If I go to the Japan embassy in Melbourne, will they give us any information at all in regard to the rule in Japan?

Anybody has any information on the driving permit rule in Japan?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: international driving permit in Japan

japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-drive.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html

…tokyo.jp/foreign/traffic/geneva.htm

…tokyo.jp/foreign/kokusai_m/pdf/koku1eng.pdf

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: international driving permit in Japan

So if I have an Australian License, will i need an Australia issued international driving permit or I can just use my Australian License?

Because in Indonesia the indonesian license is different to Indonesian International Driving permit.

Thanks for the info btw, really helpful.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: international driving permit in Japan

I don't quite understand your question. If you have an Indonesian Driver's License, then get an International Driving Permit based on the Indonesian License and you should be able to rent.

If you have an Australian license, you will need an Australian issued International Driving Permit. If you are in Australia now, I suggest you get one from your local NRMA for not very much money. That way, your passport and all your licenses/permits will be from the same country.

Remember the IDP is a translation of your home license. It is not a license on its own.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: international driving permit in Japan

Indonesian license AND IDP (issued based on Indonesian License) = Okay

Australian license AND IDP (issued based on Australian License) = Okay

Indonesian License or Australian license with NO IDP = NO

Jakarta
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: international driving permit in Japan

Hi there,

Im totally newbie here, and need an advice. Im going to Japan, and planning to rent a car. Will i be able to rent a car, using IDP issued by Indonesia authority, providing that Indonesia is not the party in 1949 Geneva Convention of Road Traffic (which is an absolute requirement for foreigner to be able to drive in Japan). Any input will greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: international driving permit in Japan

As far as I understand, no you won't be able to drive in Japan. You don't want to put yourselves in serious trouble, so I strongly recommend that you don't risk it. …tokyo.jp/foreign/traffic/geneva.htm

Edited: 3:30 am, June 05, 2014
Jakarta
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: international driving permit in Japan

Hi Yobeekool, thanks for the advice ;)

8. Re: international driving permit in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 08, 2015