We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nara or Hijime

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Nara or Hijime

Which has more things to see/do? Planning to go from Kyoto as a day trip. Or do you think we should do both? We are planning to spend five days in Kyoto. If we do both, it will leave us only three days with Kyoto. I don't know if it is enough time to enjoy Kyoto.

Thank you.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nara or Hijime

Oops! I meant Himeji.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nara or Hijime

Nara, but you can do both with 3 days in Kyoto.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nara or Hijime

Depends on what you like. However, at this point, as Himeji's Castle is still undergoing extensive restoration. The exterior is entirely covered up, and portions of the interior might not be open to the public. See below for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

…himeji.lg.jp/s60/…siro-weekly-photo.html

If you are left with 3 days in Kyoto, spend two days in central Kyoto and one day at Arashiyama. That should still be enough for most to get started.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nara or Hijime

I vote for Nara for sure.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
840 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nara or Hijime

Been to both places recently, and I would also say Nara.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nara or Hijime

Many people would say Nara, quite probably even with the Himeji Castle restoration complete.

7. Re: Nara or Hijime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 20, 2014