We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

Surabaya, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Topic
osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

hi,

We plan to go Japan for 9 days from 27 December 2012 to 4 January 2013. This is our first time to travel Japan, yet we're so excited and confused at the same time to arrange our itineraries.

We're going to land at KIX (osaka) on 9.30 pm . I understand that most of the train will be busy during this new year holiday. I'll bring along my 2 kids, 5& 3 yrs old.

Therefore, I need help to decide which date is better to travel Tokyo , whether on 28 or 29 December and come back to Osaka on 1 or 2 January?

1.Which date will be less crowded? I need to make sure, so we can get a ticket or won't stand up inside train.

2.Where can i reserve the ticket for shinkansen during my late arrival at KIX (9.30 pm)?

3.Should I purchase return "nozomi" ticket OR purchase JR raill pass before during this peak holiday?

Your help will be much appreciated to help me arrange my hotel's booking & itineraries . Thanks alot!

Edited: 3:38 am, September 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Kansai Intl Airport
Kansai Intl Airport
Izumisano, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,371 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

The 7-day JR pass is about break-even on the Osaka -Tokyo round trip. If you activate the JR pass on the 29th, it will cover the round trip to Tokyo plus the return trip to KIX. You can also use the JR pass on the convenient Yamanote Line in Tokyo.

You can exchange the voucher at any JR service center in Osaka. When you exchange the voucher, you can make free train reservations at the same time. Since it will be peak travel time, having the option to make free reservations is worth having the JR pass.

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kansai Intl Airport
Kansai Intl Airport
Izumisano, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

In the afternoon on 31st and 1st will be less crowded as local people are having a break at home or temple/shrine.

Surabaya, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

If i travel on the 31st dec . When will the rigth time to travel back to Osaka?in order to avoid the crowded.I'm depart from kix on 4rd of jan,23.30pm. i plan to stay at Tokyo for 4 days.Pls advise, thanks

My actual schedule:

27 dec: arrive kix at 9.30 PM

28dec: Usj

29dec:Osaka to tokyo by shinkansen

30dec: Tokyo.

31dec: Tokyo

1jan: Tokyo

2jan Tokyo to Osaka by shinkansen

3jan Osaka

4jan Osaka ,depart kix at 23.30pm

Pls advise me better itienarries to avoid the crowded.thanks

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Surabaya, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

Thank you for the advise,i'll get jp rail pass. Can i exchange the voucher& make the reservation for my shinkansen at Kix as soon i arrive. It Will be around 10-10.30pm after pass the immigration&luggage's collection? Thx

Mentioned in this post
Kansai Intl Airport
Kansai Intl Airport
Izumisano, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

This is only a suggestion, but the New Year's Eve and the New Year are celebrated wonderfully in Kyoto's temples and shrines in a Japanese way, so why not stay there to see the large event in the most Japanese place?

While Tokyo is an interesting large modern city, so is Osaka, and there are more to see for tourists in the Kansai Region (Kyoto and Nara). Therefore I'd really recommend like this:

27dec: arrive kix at 9.30 PM

28dec: Osaka-Tokyo

29dec: Tokyo

30dec: Tokyo.

31dec: Tokyo-Kyoto in the morning. Kyoto temples for the New Year Eve (ring the bell).

1jan: Kyoto. Kyoto shrines for seeing first pilgrimages (hatsumode).

2jan Nara

3jan Osaka USJ

4jan Osaka ,depart kix at 23.30pm

You can change the voucher for the JR Pass, but since it's for 7 consecutive days, I think you should go by normal fare to Osaka downtown either by JR Rapid or Nankai and activate when you go on a long journey. Or, you might consider the normal fare ticket. JR Pass might not necessarily be economical in your case (Osaka/Kyoto Return).

With above itinerary you should be able to avoid heavy traffic. SDtaying in Kyoto for the New Year would be better, IMHO.

Edited: 10:29 am, September 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
356 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

I assume that you are not Buddhist or Japanese Shinto believer, but the old historical temples/shrines and beautiful gardens of Kyoto can be enjoyed with religious issues put aside, I think. It's rightly said "world heritage". You are not obliged to pray or believe in the local religion at all and anyone from any religion are welcomed. Most are tourists.

Edited: 10:36 am, September 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

If you adopt Yobeekool's itinerary, you have a choice to stay at a hotel near KIX. They usually offer free shuttle from the airport. If you catch the 1st train in the morning at the JR station near the hotel, you will probably arrive in Tokyo around 10AM.

Mentioned in this post
Kansai Intl Airport
Kansai Intl Airport
Izumisano, Japan
JR Kumamoto Station
JR Kumamoto Station
103 Reviews
Kumamoto, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Surabaya, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

Thank you for giving us such a perfect itienaries :)

Actually, we plan to visit kyoto & stay at ryokan. Any suggestion of family friendly modern ryokan& strategic hotel with budget not more than usd 200 each night?

The thing is we're afraid to travel many cities due to peak seasons & kids. Me&my husband will traveling with 2 kids (5&3yrs).

We're worries about the train's tranfer which need to handle 2 kids+lugages.

However,will the kids enjoy kyoto? At first, we thought that usj&disneypark will suit a family trips like us :)

Pls give us more suggestion about hotel/ryokan in kyoto& will the kids enjoy kyoto too, thanks!

Surabaya, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

Thanks for revising my itienaries. We may follow your sugestion.That's perfect plan for us!

we actually plan to visit kyoto& stay at modern ryokan.

The thing is we're abit worry about transfer many cities during peak season& my kids obviously! They're 5&3yrs which quite troublesome for us handling kids& lugages at the sametime.

I've questions:

1. Any sugesstions for modern ryokan or strategic hotel within budget usd 150-250 per night.

2. Will the kids happy to visit kyoto? I heard that will be long walk to the temples.

Is there any other than temples that my kids will enjoy?

My first thought that usj+disneypark will suit family trips like us :) :)

Thanks guys for your help!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: osaka to tokyo during new year holiday

>>Any suggestion of family friendly modern ryokan& strategic hotel with budget not more than usd 200 each night?<<

It's a bit difficult to recommend if you are with kids, as pricing policy differs. Also, Kyoto is a built up city so the ryokan experience isn't that good compared to the countryside onsen ryokans unless you stay at really good five star ryokans. You should browse Jalan and Rakuten providing your budget range and kids conditions in the area of Gion and Shijo-Karasuma, Gojo-Karasuma, Shijo-Kawaramachi (if possible, consider also the hotel options given only in Japanese with help of google translate). As Nara is my hometown I've rarely stayed in Kyoto overnight, but I've been staying in hotels most of those times.

>>The thing is we're afraid to travel many cities due to peak seasons & kids. Me&my husband will traveling with 2 kids (5&3yrs).<<

But you are traveling in generally a peak season, so I have suggested the days least likely to face crowding passengers. Travel light with basic belongings, you don't need many things to come to Japan.

USJ should be so-so: not fantastic. Not all kids like amusement parks, but many including adults like Disney. During one of the days of 28-30, go to Disneyland Tokyo in Maihama, then. For small kids, the tiny Hanayashiki in north of Asakusa could be fun.

Edited: 12:55 pm, September 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Gion
Gion
6,363 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Karasuma Kyoto Hotel
Karasuma Kyoto Hotel
631 Reviews