We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
65 helpful votes
Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

Hi, I’m planning to visit Tōhoku region in forth week of February for ten days (19/2-28/2). My main objective is to visit Mt. Zao and Mt. Hakkoda for its infamous snow monster. Other than that will be Ginzan Onsen, Akita Nairiku Line and Mogami River cruise which are famous for snowy winter scenery.

However, not sure still able to see heavy snow at these places during the last two weeks of February. Especially the volume of snow monsters at both mountain.

Perhaps, some one may advice me. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

You should be fine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
145 reviews
85 helpful votes
2. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

There should be plenty of snow. I highly recommend also doing the Geibikei Gorge boat ride, it is stunning in winter.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
190 reviews
81 helpful votes
3. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

Snow monsters would still be fine in end Feb.

www.kankou.yamagata.yamagata.jp/zao/jyuhyo/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
79 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

I think you mean famous snow monsters. I do not think there is anything infamous about them at all.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

Sorry, there is typing error. I mean famous snow monsters

Level Contributor
5,786 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

Whether you get a really fine view depends on the weather conditions (you can't see the trees in a snowstorm), as well as the conditions of the trees. Some trees at Zao was damaged by insects in summer season overeating the leaves. But February is peak mid-Winter, and probably late February should be still fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
7. Re: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February

In average year Feb is a very good time for the Juhyo snow monsters in Zao. Your time of visit is also good for its annual light-up evening event.

zaoropeway.co.jp/zao/winter/lightup.html

There are quite a few winter festive events held during the month of Feb in the region of Tohoku. Take a look below and see if any is of interest to you. Do forgive me for not checking the list for update information as it was compiled a few years back, just let me know if you need further reference for any particular event.

https:/…55641164

Reply to: Winter at Tōhoku around third week of February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted