We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Level Contributor
858 posts
54 reviews
120 helpful votes
Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Hopefully no loss of life, floods or major damage.

22 replies to this topic
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
1. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Thanks, but I have gradually come to terms with what'll happen tomorrow, having taken inside all of the readily-blown-away stuffs already as per instructions of tv weathermen, knock on woods.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Close the window shutters tomorrow before it gets too strong. Gonna be a noisy day stuck in the house with shutters rattling. Hope the power doesn't go out, because then it's going to be hot and muggy without air conditioning and no way to open the windows. Well, better than when they come at night and can't sleep I guess. :-)

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
3. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

They're fast shut downstairs already, nish. Power outage?? Oh no, I still haven't prepare for it. Yes, I got one ready, a headlamp, my good friend in the alps mountains. ;)

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
4. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

You turned in already, nishin91? No moon lights, no stars where I live, now. If I open the window then I can hear soothing sounds crickets are making and feel soft breezes coming. Maybe that's what you call calm before the storm. Looks like Kobe/environs is soon going to be right under Jebi's eye:

https:/…typhoon-jebi-headed-towards-japan

which is not as bad as it sounds, I gather. Located on the right-hand/east side of it are the areas (like Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and others) that'll take the brunt of brutal winds: 50meters per second (max), or 111mph that is. Faster than Shohei Ohtani's fast ball... Better hit the hay now, I know. Yes, 2 headlamps on my bedside table, ready for blackout already. Again, knock on wood.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
5. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Time to bear with savage winds is now going to be gone where I live: hissing sounds gradually turned to mild howling. Yet TV keeps airing scars left by Jebi: 58.1 per second (130MPH) for record-high maximum wind velocity at KIX; talking about KIX, a sea of water on the tarmac, apron, runways and the landside bus terminal area, and a small tanker hitting a beam of the bridge connecting to the airport (the image of its mast getting stuck in makes me wonder if it doesn't take days/weeks to repair the damage and get the land transportation completely back on track, yet I may be wrong and hope so); the Yodo River (differs in digree but probably not in kind to the Hudson/Thames) is dramatically raising its water level; canals getting the waters back in in Osaka, reversing the directions of them; 3overseas traveller getting injured in JR Kyoto Station when hit by a broken window pane, and etc etc.

Btw, you all right, nish? What about you, kobe keith, if you're on here? Hope everyone joining TA is safe.

Edited: 3:52 am, September 04, 2018
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Power out here. Took a drive around the neighborhood and found patches of power on and power off. Found a Lawson that had power and bought ice cream to celebrate our survival. Got back home and power is still out going on about 3 hours now.

I posted about the tanker at KIX as a new thread. Agreed that it looks bad from the angle I saw. It appears that the ship went all the way to the train tracks in the middle. Maybe they can get at least half open soon. Too early to really know right now.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
7. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Glad you're as safe as can go buy icecream at a lawson. On a serious note, I do hope power outage gets mended soon where you live. Oh and, thanks for the headsup, re the new thread of yours. I'll go take a look.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
176 reviews
297 helpful votes
8. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Stay safe to you all

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
168 reviews
326 helpful votes
9. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Well, I was only lurking on this thread & thankful to have power and just as I thought that, my electricity went off!? At 8:15 pm. Well after the typhoon finished. :(

Kyoto Station was damaged today too. I saw the video on Twitter.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
168 reviews
326 helpful votes
10. Re: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!

Not sure if this link will work

https:/…

Reply to: Best to all our friends in Japan for a weakened typhoon!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted