We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa question

Bangalore
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Transit visa question

I am traveling from India to USA on my company's official business. I am an Indian passport holder and have US business and tourist visa. On my return journey from San Francisco to India, I want to stop over at Tokyo for 4 days. Can I apply for transit visa to enter Japan for 4 days? The reason for this question is I am entering Japan while returning from USA to India and not while going to USA from India, so want to check if transit visa is still applicable in this case as I would be transiting back to my home country. The Japanese embassy website for India mentions just "foreign country visa" and "flight tickets" as requirement for transit visa so it is not very clear if it can be used only in one direction - from home country to foreign country or in any direction.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Usa
Usa
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit visa question

As long as you are transiting via Japan, I think you as an Indian citizen/national/passport holder are entitled to apply for the transit visa (perhaps you might need two transit visas if you are entering into Japan on your way to USA [ie requiring a transfer of airport between Haneda and Narita or stopover with a stay outside the airport]), but please ask the embassy (make a telephone call) to make sure: www.in.emb-japan.go.jp/visa%20info.html

Edited: 11:51 am, June 07, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Usa
Usa
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit visa question

It does indeed seem that you need to get the transit visa in India - it's governed by passport nationality, not where the flight is from.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit visa question

Thank you everyone for your replies. I called Japanese consulate and they say that for 4 days stay in Japan, I need to apply for tourist visa - according to them, transit visa is usually given when there is some gap in connecting flights and 4 days is too long a gap to qualify for transit visa.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Transit visa question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted