We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Hello!

I will be travelling to Japan with my wife this April and we have a night at Hakone between our trip from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka on 5-6 April and we are looking for an authentic experience of a japanese Ryokan. We dont mind if it is a bit westernized but essentially what we are looking for is a room with a private hot spring bath (open air would be great), kaiseki dinner and to be friendly to first timer westerners!!

Budget is around 300-350 eur for the night.

We are litteraly overwhelmed with all the options and we are looking for some suggestions if possible. We did find some rooms in Mizunoto and Hotel Okada but there are so much more and aince its one night only we want to do it right.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,865 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Have you looked at - https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ ?

There are ryokan reviews in TA.

New York City, New...
7 posts
2. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Hi there! ​Sounkaku might fit your needs? There's an open-air hot spring bath with scenic views, and high quality kaiseki meal for dinner: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29…

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
3. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Sounkaku looks nice indeed, a little bit out of our range at 470-500 eur for 2 for the suite with the private open air bath. Any other suggestions that you may have visited yourselves?

As for the japanese guest houses i did stumble upon it and i tried going through the selection but something threw me off i cant remember what exactly. Ill go through again and see if it would help.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
7 posts
4. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Hmm I just asked our Tokyo concierge (I work at a travel startup that does personalized travel itineraries) real quick! Mizuonoto is one we do usually recommend, so you are probably safe with booking there! Our criteria for ryokans we recommend is high-quality meals, great service, and private onsen access, so you should get all of those. :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
5. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

>>essentially what we are looking for is a room with a private hot spring bath (open air would be great),

Room rates per person including 2 meals with an ensuite rotenburo would at least cost from JPY25-30K, more in Hakone in general due to its proximity to Tokyo and Yokohama where over 30 million people live.

If you want more comments, post amounts in JPY instead.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,222 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Saturday and the day before holidays see ryokan prices skyrocket. Plan your schedule to avoid staying on those days.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Well in terms of JPY budget is around 25,000 per person. 5th of april is a thursday so avoiding weekend prices, right?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,404 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Check this one out:

https://www.ichinoyu.co.jp/shinanoki/eng/

Note that it's not a luxury ryokan but rooms have open air onsen and within your budget. 25,000yen/person/night is a bit too low for a luxury ryokan with private onsen ensuite in the middle of cherry blossom season in Hakone.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
9. Re: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen

Well actually shinanoki doesn't look half bad! On the contrary it looks nice!

I also found this one

http://www.wro-hotels.com/yutorelo-an/

which is within budget and looks nice as well.

The only thing im concerned is transportation though to and from these since we will be going to a couple of attractions and in yumoto city, Yutorelo-an has a station nearby which seems to be some kind of a tram? while theres only a bus stop near shinanoki.

Reply to: Hakone Ryokan/Onsen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted