We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medan-Bukit Lawang-Lake Toba-Banyak Islands-Medan

San Diego
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Medan-Bukit Lawang-Lake Toba-Banyak Islands-Medan

Hi there!

I am sorry if this is a question that has been posted a million times, but I am currently living in a small village on Java with very little internet so I don't have a lot of time to check through the forum, apologies :)

I will be flying into Medan December 20th and flying back into Bandung on January 4th. Currently on my wish list for my roughly 14 days in Sumatra is a bit of jungle trekking, hanging out on Lake Toba, and doing some snorkeling/kayaking/hanging out on the Banyak islands. I do not really mind in what order that happens but it seems the easiest route to take would be to head straight from Medan to Bukit Lawang, then to Lake Toba, then out to the Banyak Islands, and back to Medan. Does it make sense to do it in this order? How easy or difficult is it travel between these locations using public transportation?

Also, my friend and I are currently volunteering in Indonesia with the Peace Corps, and thus we don't have a ton of money to spend. We are looking at budget options for transport and sleeping. Likewise, if anyone has suggestions for a reasonably priced guide for trekking or for kayaking in the Banyaks, I would love to year it! Does anybody have a favorite island to visit? I am not a surfer, I prefer calm waters with good snorkeling and easy swimming if that sounds like any islands you know :)

Thank you so much for any information you can provide. Again, I am sorry if this information has already been posted.

Brie

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medan-Bukit Lawang-Lake Toba-Banyak Islands-Medan

well at least you realized it and offer a reason, much better than some who just ignorantly ask question so common they could easily be googled. and anyway, this is not a question that has been ask a million times...so you are safe :p

you have the order spot on. bukit lawang is west of medan and then lake toba is south of BL and medan and singkil (gateway town to banyak) is directly west of Toba.

the are plenty of bus or chartered taxi for BL and Lake toba. its the lake toba to singkil route that i am not sure of.

i take a taxi innova (kijang innova, its a car's model) to go to singkil but its from medan.

palambak island offer one of the best beach (not counting in island without bungalow) so its a good choice to stay there BUT there are plenty of mosquito to keep you company at nite. Tailana island however has zero mozzie but the beach is a far cry from palambak

2. Re: Medan-Bukit Lawang-Lake Toba-Banyak Islands-Medan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 21, 2014