We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sinabung update (november 2013)

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sinabung update (november 2013)

the volcano has just experience a (rather) big eruption this morning (15th nov). not as big an explosion as the one back in september though.

as of now activity in Berastagi is still normal. situation of course are heavily effected by wind direction and rain.

as i mentioned before in several post that i was there last sunday and from my observation i found tourism activity is pretty normal. big bus from travel company full with foreign tourist flock all the big hotels as usual. tourist abound in the fruit market picking out local specialty.

of course traces of volcanic ash can be found on the ground and pretty sure in the air too. while i notice zero effect of this on my part others who are more sensitive might find it uncomfortable.

i am not gonna make recommendation as to go or not to go, thats entirely up to the individual. just know that berastagi has not yet close for business and turn into disaster zone like back in september where the whole town is covered in thick volcanic ash.

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

@infoaddict: its all depend on wind direction. but most of the time berastagi is just fine. i suspect there is always a very think layer of ash raining down berastagi too but you wont even feel it. unless you plan to stay there for more than a week a don't think any special protection is needed.

i have spend my share of time in berastagi in this eruption period and i never feel uncomfortable in any way

that being said i experience two occasion when the ash raining hard on berastagi though, but they only last for 10min or so. it only happen when a huge eruption happen as a strong wind blow berastagi way. so it doesnt happen much. so bringing a long the cheap face mask you can get from the pharmacy is not a bad idea

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

@swedes1000: no bukit lawang is perfectly fine. they are very far away and the area is covered in thick vegetation even when the wind really blow that way and an eruption big enough happen it will be very hard to penetrate all those vegetation

Sweden
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

artemiofranchi thanks for the answer !

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

i m going to parapat via permatangsiantar on 13 Mac.I hope everything will b fine by then. I will report on the situation when i arrived there.

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

perapat was and is fine. it was never affected by the volcano anyway

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

Neither was and is Siantar.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
77. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

Anyone has update on whether it's ok to visit brastagi & stay for 1 night now (February 17, 2014)?

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

yes it is perfectly OK

Samosir
Level Contributor
428 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

Dear Artemio,

Your information in your post nr 78 is fully in line with the reports I get back from Berastagi. Unfortunately, there now seems to be a mix up between Mt Sinabung and Mt Kelud Eruptions. Guests not realizing that the distance from Mt Kelud to Berastagi and Lake Toba is possibly the same if not more as the distance between Mt Etna (in Italy – Europe) and London.

If the Borubodor is packed up in plactic and the airport of Jogyakarta is closed this does not affect flights to KNIA – Medan, and this should not prevent guests coming to Berastagi or Lake Toba.

As you started the current thread for which I give you full credit, the thread fortunately not having been obscured by any unwanted solicitors as these days we now have the new phenomena Torus2014, may I suggest that you start a new thread under the heading:

Sinabung Update (February 2013)

In your opening, informing that at this moment everything is safe and quiet and back to normal as far as tourists are concerned for staying and trekking in Berastagi, you could make make a link to this thread just to inform our guests on what happened since November.

Thank you so much .

HORAS !!! HORAS !!! HORAS !!! WELCOME TO BERASTAGI AND LAKE TOBA.

80. Re: Sinabung update (november 2013)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Sumatra