We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Auckland Central...
4 posts
Save Topic
A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

I am looking at heading to Indonesia in February next year for a month. I'm planning on spending the majority of the time in Sumatra. My general (loose) plan is to buy a return flight to Jakarta (it works out cheaper doing that from New Zealand than NZ-Medan, Jakarta-NZ). I want to go to Komodo, so if I do that at the start and allow, say, four days (including a day or so to acclimatise in Jakarta) and then from there fly to Medan and work my way around northern Sumatra and then back down to Jakarta.

Question is, is it feasible to do this on a 30 day visa? I realise Sumatra is a pretty big place. If it's not feasible, where would be the good spots to bypass via flights? If 30 days isn't enough, I was thinking maybe it would be better to do northern Sumatra (maybe a Medan loop) and fly down to the south and check out the rainforests down there and then ferry across to Jakarta before flying home.

Thoughts?

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,459 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

So your plan is to fly from NZ to Jakarta, fly to Flores (Labuanbajo) to see Komodo, then fly back to Medan, see North Sumatra, then see South Sumatra, then back to Jakarta and then back to NZ?

I think that is doable but a lot of flights and not enough time to do it well. If at ALL possible I would try to get a flight to Denpsasar, Bali, to fly to LabuanBajo. Then fly to Medan, do North Sumatra, skip South Sumatra but do West Sumatra instead. Fly home. I don't know all the interior stops and flights but you can work that out yourself...Just my opinion.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Hi norwesty,

Have you only got 30 days for your trip or could you extend your visit a bit longer and apply for a 60 day visa in Auckland?

If you have only got 30 days - do you really have to do Komodo - so many flights for just 4 days.

All flights basically have to go through Jakarta anyway.

For Sumatra if I was you I would probably fly from Jakarta to Padang and head up to Bukittinggi.

From there you can visit

Bukittinggi itself

Lake Maninjau

Harau Valley

Twin Lakes

Lake Singarak

Bonjol where the Equator passes through Sumatra.

Pagang Island

and maybe a trip - 8-9 hrs by bus to Kersik Tau - Gunung Kerinci area.

After West Sumatra you can fly from Padang to Medan.

From Medan you can visit

Bukit Lawang - orangutans

Tangkahan - elephants

Lake Toba

and Brestagi on the way back from Parapat Lake Toba.

Then fly Air Asia from Medan to Jakarta - about 600,000 rupiah for the air fare and can be booked online.

Pamela

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Norwesty,

If you are interested I have maps of these areas and a detailed information of where to go, where to stay and what to do in most of these places.

Also an unpublished map of all the accomodation and area of Bukit Lawang one of my guide friends there sent me last year.

Just email me at pamela_fuge@yahoo.com.au

Pamela.

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Hi Pamela, is Air Asia now flying from Medan to Jakarta?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Hi Q-Cuppster,

Yes, they are. Isn't that wonderful? I can't tell you how happy I am about it because I am sponsoring a young Bukit Lawang lad 19 yrs old to Fashion Design College in Jakarta and bought him a return airfare online at beginning of June.

Flew on Sat June 8th and returns to Medan on 27th July for Idul Fitri before flying back at beginning of September.

Pamela.

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

That's great news! Love it.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Yes, so easy as I book a flight for the lad, pay for it on my CC and email him the itinerary details, he prints it off and he is on his way.

Have no idea when they started flying that route again.

Pamela

Auckland Central...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Can you get a 60 day visa straight off the cuff? I thought you had to get a 30 day visa but then could only upgrade it to a 60 day one towards the end?

The airfares seem cheap enough that I don't mind flying. But you're right, there are a lot of flights involved.

Auckland Central...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

And also, ubudpuppy, you're probably right - maybe it is better to fly to Bali. It does work out cheaper. And then from Bali it is probably easier (?) to get to Komodo and then, as Pamela suggests, head to West Sumatra and then go northwards

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A month enough for Medan to Jakarta?

Norwesty,

I am sorry but you have all the wrong information in regards to tourist visas for Indonesia.

There are 2 visas.

1. 30 day tourist visa called A VOA - Visa On Arrival that you get at the airport for about $25US per visa.

This can be extended by another 30 days, but can be problematical depending on where you get it extended.

2. 60 day tourist visa that is applied for OUTSIDE Indonesia in your own home country or one of the Asian countries close to Indonesia.

Please note Kuala Lumpur is a 'hit or miss" affair as far as getting a 60 day Indonesian Tourist Visa.

Sometimes they grant sometimes they don't and there is NO logic to who gets what.

From the time you apply at the Indonesian Consulate for a 60 day Indonesian Tourist Visa you have 90 days to get to Indonesia and from your entry into Indonesia your 60 days begin.

This 60 day Indonesian Tourist Visa can be extended up to 4 times @ 30 days at a time for the legal price of 250,000 rupiah.

Sometimes this can be problematic too after a couple of extensions.

If you leave Indonesia on either of these visas they are void and you will need to get another visa on arrival back into the country.

Pamela ( who has been 9 times to Indonesia.)

Edited: 8:47 pm, June 22, 2013