We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jungle trekking / sumatra- so how strenuous is it exactly ?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
jungle trekking / sumatra- so how strenuous is it exactly ?

hello everybody!

we will be doing a little SE Asia tour in October and booked a 6-day trip around North Sumatra.

Day 2 is described as follows:

(..) Medan - Bohorok/Bukit Lawang. In this impressive nature reserve you can see the orang utans feeding in their natural environment. This involves a 45 minutes walk through the jungle to reach the feeding grounds of the orang utan. The sportive hiker can take exciting jungle trips here. However walkers must be fit and have suitable, large profile shoes.

So now I'm wondering - how strenuous is the trek exactly? W wouldn't say I have any health problems, I'm 24 years old, I play tennis once a week and do some dancing one in a while, but I'm also a corporate worker which forces me to sit behind the desk around 50hrs a week!! So I'm not really used to straining myself physically in any kind of way and now I'm wondering whether I'll make it without making an ultimate fool of myself :)

Also any other advice concerning clothes (warm, thin etc?), money (how much? which currency?) etc would be greatly appreciated by moi!

Many thanks!

Babelyo Day Tours
Private Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours
Into The Wild Bukit Lawang - Day Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Agape Tour
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: jungle trekking / sumatra- so how strenuous is it exactly ?

Who are you doing the tour with?

I hope you realize all orangutans at Bukit Lawang are rehabilitated ones and are not like the ones you see in Ketambe south Aceh that are wild orangutans living in their natural environment who have had no human contact like the ones in BL.

I have only been to the orangutan feeding platform once yr 2000 so a long time ago and I do not remember having to go through the jungle for 45 minutes to get there.

You need to cross the river ( right near Jungle Inn) in a small boat pulley drawn and then you walk into the National Park and to the feeding platform.

I found trekking through jungle for an overnight trek very strenuous in 2005, but the memories of sleeping by the river and etc made it worthwhile now I look back.

Edited: 7:34 pm, August 30, 2010
Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jungle trekking / sumatra- so how strenuous is it exactly ?

anyone can trek here,but if you want some more trekking make sure to get a proper guide,not one that just brings take away food and a piece of plastic for cover

3. Re: jungle trekking / sumatra- so how strenuous is it exactly ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 02, 2011
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now