We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padang Airport Immigration

Malaysia
Level Contributor
379 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Padang Airport Immigration

A rather odd experience at the Padang Airport on departure. We were not late in getting to the immigration counters before going into the departure lounge but were one of the last in the queue. An immigration officer came round to us (not the one in the counter) and in a very stern way started to ask us questions: Why you come to Indonesia? Answer: Holiday; Q: What holiday, Why holiday in Indonesia?; Where; What did you do; Why?

How does one answer why we came to Sumtra for a holiday? We like the place of course, we are returning visitors but why the animosity? and on departure as well! Very odd. The officer was clearly not happy. I was with my kid and he kept looking unhappy even as I said thank you.

i love the sights and people of the area and I would return but the line of questioning by the immigration officer - I can't understand. Can anyone explain?

Sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Padang Airport Immigration

Hey Footyboy,

That is strange. I've been through Padang airport many times and is usually no dramas or questions leaving. usually very relaxed with the immagration staff almost falling asleep.

I guess sometimes when you put a uniform on someone they feel they have to display their autority. he was probably bored and wanted to hassle someone

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Padang Airport Immigration

Hi FBM,

I have encountered one strange immigration guy in August 2006 when I came back in from Singapore- not sure why. He was carrying on about my 60 day visa- I was a bit ocnfused so acted dumb but at the same

pleasant and smiling and got through ok.

Pamela

Malaysia
Level Contributor
379 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Padang Airport Immigration

Hi Pamela,

Good to hear from you. It was odd and we observed that this happened to people towards the end of the long queue. Some guys behind us got pulled into the immigration office. Strange that we were 'interrogated' on departure. You are right, being polite and keep smiling does help. I started explaining our holiday and what we did. He walked away thereafter.

As you would have figured out, we were back to Bukit Tinggi/Maninjau and back in KL again. Will post reviews soon.

Take care.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Padang Airport Immigration

Hi

This is a indirect tactic to solicit for "coffee money"

One of the worst airport is Pekan Baru,the uniform staff will "chat" with you if you check in early to solicit for "cigarettes" money.

The effect way around this is to speak a international language shaking your head that you do not understand the local "language"

I had seen visitors been drag into the interrogation office when the counter staff could not get any"hand off "from visitors.

Sometime small money get get you out of bigger trouble.

As a matter of principle I do not enndorse this but abide by local "inconveniences" for a hassle free travel.

5. Re: Padang Airport Immigration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 24, 2010