We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunting headhunters- Nias or Mentawai?

Cairo Governorate...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hunting headhunters- Nias or Mentawai?

I'm heading to Indonesia again in a few weeks (Only for three weeks). I realized what I crave is meeting authentic ethnic communities over the obvious temples complexes etc. I'm also a travel photographer so visually striking houses and landscapes are of interest but not so much as people.

Can anyone explain what the differences/similarities are between the Nias and Mentawi people (and islands generally?

It strikes me that the Mentawai have the most authentic culture, but will I find similar tribes off the beaten track in Nias? I read that the best plan is to be invited to a wedding (This happened to me last year in Bali and I wasn't even fishing for an invite!)

The majority of images from Nias seem to be of the stone jumping. How regularly is this done? Is it done purely for tourists benefit?

The Prehistoric megalithic sites interest me to a point but I'd prefer to trek for a day to seen tribes again over 'sites'

I would consider Borneo or other locations if anyone can make suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Mentawai Islands
Mentawai Islands
West Sumatra, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
1 reply
london
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunting headhunters- Nias or Mentawai?

I would say Mentawai. Nias itself is very well connected but there are some minor islands that are more remote.

You could look for the orang rimba in Jambi as well.

Edited: 11:07 am, June 07, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Mentawai Islands
Mentawai Islands
West Sumatra, Indonesia
Jambi
Jambi
Jambi Province, Indonesia
Reply to: Hunting headhunters- Nias or Mentawai?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sumatra