We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sim card with mobile data

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
sim card with mobile data

Hi,

We will be travelling to yogya in early May and would like to enquire if there is such thing as prepaid sim card with mobile data selling there?

We will be going to borobudur and mt bromo. What will be the recommendation of telco if they are selling prepaid sim card with mobile data? What is the cost and where do we get them?

Thank you!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sim card with mobile data

There are various telco offering this services.

For better signal, stick to Telkomsel and Indosat. The charges are a bit more expensive than others, but they have stronger and wider coverage, especially when you travel to remote places.

Usually, you can buy the normal starter pack (for prepaid SIM-card) and then buy separate top-up. After you top up, then you subscribe to their internet/data plan.

To learn more about pricing and plan, visit the website.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sim card with mobile data

can you provide the website? thanks.

belgium
Level Contributor
153 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sim card with mobile data

I recently travelled around java and bali and found i had good coverage everywhere with telkomsel

I used a prepaid simpati card, the initial purchase cost was 10.000 rupiah and included some pulsa

A new sim card must be registered but the shop can help you with that

A data package is very cheap, i got one called simpati groovy, 3 months mobile internet for just 99.000 rp

If your visit is a short one, there are also daily packages available, i saw it adverised for a mere 5.000 rp!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sim card with mobile data

For Telkomsel prepaid product, you can buy the starter pack of SimPati Loop www.telkomsel.com/product/loop/9663-loop.html and then buy the top up according to your needs (e.g. Rp30,000 can give you 6GB internet). Top up is available in various denomination, the most common ones are IDR10,000 IDR50,000 IDR100,000

Yogyakarta...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sim card with mobile data

Hello,

1. is your handphone using GSM / CDMA?

if GSM = using TELKOMSEL (product name SIMPATI)

if CDMA = using SMARTFREN

2. price of simcard, pre-paid, non-contract, only US$ 0,5 - US$1

3. telkomsel = good signal in borobudur + bromo .. smarfren = i don't know ..

4. you can buy simcard in small outlet near your hotel anywhere in indonesia, just around the street

5. if you need internet plan, SIMPATI offer US$12 for 1month .. i prefer go to some wifi place (if your handphone have wifi)

6. link of provider =>

telkomsel SIMPATI = http://www.telkomsel.com/product/simpati

telkomsel SIMPATI internet = telkomsel.com/internet/paket-telkomsel-flash…

smarfren = http://www.smartfren.com

7. cost, per text (SMS) +/- US$ 0,02 .. call +/- US$ 0,2 per minute

hope helps

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sim card with mobile data

Hi there.

Thanks for the information, suplentongkjaya and cirque. I had a look at the Telkomsel website but could not really understand how the simPATI plan works.

I will be visiting Yogyakarta for 5 days, including a day and night at Borobudor and looking at getting the simPATI Social Max plan (which I assume is a pre-paid plan) for 1 week ("Mingguan").

Would you be able to help me with further information:

1. Would I need one plan for voice & SMS, and another for Internet data?

2. Would Borobudor be considered Zone 2?

3. If the daily limit is reached (170MB for 2G/3G and 170MB for 3G), will I still be able to connect to the Internet?

4. Can I add-on a SIM card for another device (a tablet)? (The information seem to say up to 4).

Thanks again.

chee

7. Re: sim card with mobile data

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 22, 2015